1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quiet Roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken Boy-17, May 26, 2011.

1. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    My nieghborhood forbids roo's and I was wondering if there is a quite breed of roosters. Any suggestsions? (Pictures would also be nice)[​IMG]

2. buckboy101

buckboy101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Well, There are very expensive rooster surgeries that take out the voice box but its better to just borrow a rooster for breeding in a neighborhood.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    both my cochin roos hardly ever crow(ed). they are/were both very sweet boys.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

why do you want a rooster?

5. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    [​IMG]
    I didn't think "rooster" and "quiet" went in the same sentence! lol

6. Chicken Boy-17

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    1.Well, that's why I asked if there was a quiet type[​IMG][/img]
    2. I want to get chicks

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  7. FireTigeris

Well as far as I know the silkies sound quiet (strength of voice) but the can and do crow all the time (repeatedly in day and night) ...

Not sure who crows the fewest times a day that is also bantam...

I mean right this second I have a crowing silkie and a crowing EE/Ameraucana but my Marans is old enough but never makes a sound... (but I'm sure he would w/o other roosters around.)

8. Chicken Boy-17

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    That stinks, so there's relly no specific "quiet" rooster breed?

9. FireTigeris

Maybe one day you'll have land and design one by careful breeding- then you can charge a fortune for the SBD (silent but delicious?) .

Honest hatching eggs are fairly cheep to get and chicks are like 2.50 each around here...

If you live near FL I'd hand you some (pick up only) anytime you want.

(of course you need an incubator or a broody and something to -do- with all the roosters you hatch.)

10. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Quote:Unfortunately, all roosters crow. Some more than others, but they all do it. Quiet isn't really in their vocabulary. [​IMG]
    If you want chicks, you could purchase sex link chicks and have better chances of getting all girls. Sex links are chickens that are usually (there's ALWAYS exceptions, but your chances are good) identifiable at birth by their markings whether they will be boy or girl. IF you ended up with a rooster, you could cull it, or try to find a new home for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by