Quiet/lost voice but no other symptoms - what to do?

BigJ111

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
Estonia
Hi, don't know if it's the right section for this, but we noticed yesterday that one of our girls seems to have lost her voice. She basically clucks but it's a bit muted, fairly quiet. She has been doing that same sound sometimes when we pet her but since yesterday it's the only kind of sound we've heard from her.

Read many things online, many scary, so I've checked what I could and there's no sign of any difficulty breathing, no wheezing, no discharge from nose or eyes, she eats and swallow normally to me, she laid her egg as usual. Can't spot any obvious bad smell from her mouth either. So my question may sound stupid, but is a quiet voice necessarily a sign of illness? (The other girls are all good by the way). And any recommendation on what else I could/should check?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How is she?
After 2weeks of apple cider vinegar or echinacea in the water, she's slowly getting her voice back. Still zero sign of anything else. She's been laying , eating and acting as normal. No obvious crop issue to me, no discharge from nose or eyes, no apparent breathing issue, nothing... i'm a bit puzzled to be honest. Was joking with my wife that maybe she was too chatty and lost her voice, but to be honest, at this point, apart from a simple irritated throat, I really can't figure out why she lost her voice. Now is way better, though not totally back to the regular volume yet.

After 2weeks of apple cider vinegar or echinacea in the water, she's slowly getting her voice back. Still zero sign of anything else. She's been laying , eating and acting as normal. No obvious crop issue to me, no discharge from nose or eyes, no apparent breathing issue, nothing... i'm a bit puzzled to be honest. Was joking with my wife that maybe she was too chatty and lost her voice, but to be honest, at this point, apart from a simple irritated throat, I really can't figure out why she lost her voice. Now is way better, though not totally back to the regular volume yet.
Glad she's getting her voice back!
How old is she?

Very weird.
I do have a 7 1/2 year old rooster who doesn't really crow anymore but he still makes some noise, that's why I was asking about age. I can tag the experts for you.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Thanks a lot. I know it's really strange, cause i've checked everything I could find about a hen losing her voice, but the total lack of other signs or symptoms makes it really intriguing.

Laryngitis is usually a symptom of respiratory illness. But sometimes it can be caused by dust or smoke leading to inflammation of the tissues.

But it can be triggered by stress, as well. I am friends with a manager of a Tractor Supply, and she loses her voice in response to a particularly stressful day she's having. One minute she is talking normally, the next minute, her voice totally goes AWOL.

Laryngitis is usually a symptom of respiratory illness. But sometimes it can be caused by dust or smoke leading to inflammation of the tissues.

But it can be triggered by stress, as well. I am friends with a manager of a Tractor Supply, and she loses her voice in response to a particularly stressful day she's having. One minute she is talking normally, the next minute, her voice totally goes AWOL.
Yes, I read about this. But their pen isn't really dusty at this time of the year, and I clean their house every week, and as far as i know, our neighbours didn't make any fire in their garden around the time she lost her voice.
If there is a respiratory illness, I assume after 3 weeks there would be some other symptoms. But I spend a bit time with them everyday and I really can't spot anything usual.
That leaves maybe to something that stressed her out, but not sure what it could have been. Particularly because the 3 other girls are perfectly fine, and the one who lost her voice is by far the bravest of all.

Hi, don't know if it's the right section for this, but we noticed yesterday that one of our girls seems to have lost her voice. She basically clucks but it's a bit muted, fairly quiet. She has been doing that same sound sometimes when we pet her but since yesterday it's the only kind of sound we've heard from her.

Read many things online, many scary, so I've checked what I could and there's no sign of any difficulty breathing, no wheezing, no discharge from nose or eyes, she eats and swallow normally to me, she laid her egg as usual. Can't spot any obvious bad smell from her mouth either. So my question may sound stupid, but is a quiet voice necessarily a sign of illness? (The other girls are all good by the way). And any recommendation on what else I could/should check?
Thanks in advance.
During molt or when broody, my hens tend to make a quiet clucking sound.

Back
Top Bottom