Quietest chickens?

tkvance

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
I have to worry about neighbors, so I need the quietest chickens----what do you think about 2 orpingtons and 2 americaunas? I've heard these are the two quietest breeds? Input welcome!

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "quiet chicken."

I have 5 buff orpingtons, they're quiet EXCEPT when they lay an egg (about once a day) and they have to announce to the Whole Wide World, "Hey! I laid an egg!" and whenever something distresses them - a hawk circling nearby, a dog barking, neighborhood children messing around their coop, etc.

Orps are supposed to be among the more quiet breeds, and that is probably true as far as chickens are concerned, but they still make noise. They are silent in most of their daily activities, and I approach even the most skittish of our hens without any clucking, and the more they're handled, the less they protest over your presence. However, I live in town, and my neighbors know I have chickens, so the occasional cackling and squawking is par for the course. They are not so noisy as to be a huge problem (not nearly so bad as the ever-barking neighbor's lab). Honestly, I think once the neighbors got used to the clucking, they've tuned it out entirely. I've never once had a complaint about my chickens.

Frozen?

In that vein:
Jerry received a parrot for his birthday.

The parrot was fully-grown with a bad attitude and worse vocabulary. Every other word was an expletive. Those that weren't expletives were, to say the least very rude.

Jerry tried hard to change the bird's attitude and was constantly saying polite words, playing soft music, anything he could think of to try and set a good example. Nothing worked.

He yelled at the bird and the bird yelled back. He shook the bird and the bird just got angrier and became even more rude. Finally in a moment of desperation. Jerry put the parrot in the FREEZER.

For a few moments he heard the bird squawk and kick and scream. Then suddenly, there was a quiet-----

-Not a sound for half a minute. Jerry was frightened that he might have hurt the bird and quickly opened the freezer door.

The Parrot calmly stepped out onto Jerry's extended arm and said: "I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I will endeavor at once to correct my behavior. I really am truly sorry and beg your forgiveness."

Jerry was astonished at the bird's change in attitude and was about to ask what had made the difference and caused such a dramatic change when the parrot continued: "May I ask what the chicken did???"

Also, my Buff Orpington grumbles a lot and has a really loud egg sone. She also lays the smallest eggs. Drama queen.
hmm.png

i have to worry about quiet chickens too. one of my EE is VERY quiet, my other EE i gave away cuz she had a VERY loud egg song. i have 2 grown girls, the rest are chicks/teens. i like to start out with more hens than i need and then figure out who's the noisy ones and give them away to friends who live in the country. my 2 older girls are a Silver Cuckoo Marans and an EE. my SCM sings the egg song, but it sounds like a muffled egg song....and i LOVE that bird! she will die of old age, i will keep her forever! i have never had experience with Black Austrolorps, but if i could do over again with my chick buying this year, i would've bought some of them. i have read NUMEROUS times on BYC how quiet and stealthy they are. they will be my next choice whenever i buy chickens again (which will probably be in about 3 years).

I've heard that Black Austrolorps are quiet and sweet. I couldn't find anyplace to get 4 sexed chicks so I settled for Isa Browns, we'll see. They are way quieter than my Serama chicks but no one is laying yet!

My EE is very quiet in fact she doesn't even sing the Egg Song. She's also very flighty and won't come near me. I think its from an episode where she got out and I had to corner her and get her back with her flock. She literally passed out and needless to say we were both traumatized. I have two Silver Laced Wyandottes that are not very noisy either but dang it that Rhode Island Red keeps up enough noise for everyone. She complains loudly when I leave the yard, she screams the Egg Song and basically tells me off at the end of my work day for leaving her. Just too much sometimes. I want to give her a kiss and tell her I won't desert her but she thinks my fingers are pieces of meat. She's my favorite one but will probably be the demise of our secret society.

My Orpingtons are very noisy after they've laid an egg. The Sussex just walk around the yard muttering to themselves but they can belt out an egg song as well.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom