Quietest roosters?

But the flight could be nice to get away from predators.----Agreed!

I read that they can actually fly unlike most chickens? I believe the longest documented flight by one of them was 5 miles over open water while Island hopping, but, suspect that may have been the original wild breed(now extinct). At 3 months mine can maintain a flat flight pattern to greet me and their food bucket around 100+ feet.

Do you think I'd have problems with him deciding to roost in a tree? So far mine haven't tried that, but for the coop I have had to provide very high roosts for them to keep them from roosting in the top corners of the Hardware cloth in the coop. This batch was raised from chicks and they normally beat me to the coop every night. I suspect if I get a broody to raise the chicks in 2-3 generations they might go the tree route.

You aren't even close to me, drive from Mass to the border of texas, turn left and drive another 10-12 hours until Texas ends.

Wow that's a pretty long flight! You're probably right though, probably the wild one. But that's a long way for yours too, especially so young. Mine take off across the yard but it's more a jump or run and fly than actual flight.

That's good they won't roost in trees though

And oh wow, that is a long way! That's too bad. Thanks anyway for the offer

Japanese mottled bantam
Very quiet but is a bantam he rarely even crows back at our bb red show roo (in a pen,) just runs back and fourth untibant notices i witness what hes doing then he slowly moves away from the pen... Its so funny the the oegb banty roo is crowing like a madman. LOL

Far right

Wow he is gorgeous! And he gets along with the larger birds?

Wanted to bring this back and see if people had any other opinions or suggestions or if anyone had thoughts on my list as well or EEs

But the flight could be nice to get away from predators.----Agreed!

I read that they can actually fly unlike most chickens? I believe the longest documented flight by one of them was 5 miles over open water while Island hopping, but, suspect that may have been the original wild breed(now extinct). At 3 months mine can maintain a flat flight pattern to greet me and their food bucket around 100+ feet.

Do you think I'd have problems with him deciding to roost in a tree? So far mine haven't tried that, but for the coop I have had to provide very high roosts for them to keep them from roosting in the top corners of the Hardware cloth in the coop. This batch was raised from chicks and they normally beat me to the coop every night. I suspect if I get a broody to raise the chicks in 2-3 generations they might go the tree route.
What do you guys think of OEGBs (or the full size version)? I heard they were good protectors and alert, being game birds, but wasn't sure about noise or aggressiveness?

Also some other breeds I want to try are Wyandottes (especially Gold Laced, Silver Laced, and BLRW, but I want to try like all of them lol), Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rock and/or Silver Penciled Rock (I love my Barred), and possibly a Cochin, Brahma, Delaware or Welsummer. And more varieties of Orpingtons. I love my Buffs but they're hatchery stock and pretty scrawny so I'd like to try some from breeders and I want to try a lot of other color varieties.

Obviously I'd want hens to add to my flock

BUT

Now I'm wondering what you guys think about any of those breeds for a flock rooster?

Being large breeds, they might have a louder crow? Especially the Brahma?

But are they calm breeds? I don't want an aggressive rooster but they don't necessarily have to be cuddly.

I'm thinking maybe I should just add some hens that I want to try but go with a rooster I hadn't necessarily considered so I don't leave out the best possible one
I have no experience with any of those breeds, only Sumatra here. Hope someone else can offer guidance.

I have no experience with any of those breeds, only Sumatra here. Hope someone else can offer guidance.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

And I actually do have some more questions about the Sumatra.

I was reading some reviews and some say that they're really flightly or just like to fly for fun but others say they're not, one said they're really aggressive and unpredictable.

What are your thoughts on them? I guess you like them since you have them?

But is the flighty or aggressive true?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

And I actually do have some more questions about the Sumatra.

I was reading some reviews and some say that they're really flightly or just like to fly for fun but others say they're not, one said they're really aggressive and unpredictable.

What are your thoughts on them? I guess you like them since you have them?

But is the flighty or aggressive true?
I had one that was acting like it was going to be a problem bird as it was the big guy on campus, but I had a neighbor who took it off my hands and his mature birds will give that guy a healthy dose of manners.

Flighty, yes they are if someone on lookout sounds the alarm its all wings until they feel safe. Mine were raised by us from 1 day chicks and they really like to follow me around the yard and help me when I am in their pen. They aren't too hard to catch, but when you do they scream bloody murder until they are in a secure hold. I had to teach them to free range as just like cats they are taking their time to learn the yard and all of the bolt holes or cover. This isn't unreasonable at all as the nations hawks all like to overwinter in my region.

Predictable they are, I can always count on them to be under my feet, they come when called because at 3.5months they are all food sluts, it doesn't matter if I am offering scratch grains or fermented feed. They are quite dog like in they are bonded to us. The only time they don't want people time is when I let them out of the coop in the morning I have to just get out of the way because they are coming through. Some run and half fly out of the coop and if you are in the way ....well it can be pretty freaky as they fly and pass your face. If they see me bringing them feed sure they can fly 100 feet or so to me as everyone wants to be first.

I'm sure they can be aggressive particularly if you don't run a 10:1 ratio of hens to roos and it is springtime. That is what they were brought to the US for in 1847 they were intended to be fighting birds. I don't expect any of my roo's to ever become man hating roos. As I am led to believe it is all how you raise them if you let your roo's dominate you and fly on your back or perch on your shoulder as youngsters, or don't move as if you are the number 1 roo of the yard you could potentially create a man hating roo especially if you are either afraid of them or timid around the birds. I've seen some funny videos of people being dominated by their birds you just have to shake you head at those folks.

I'm happy with mine and wish you the best however you choose.

Thanks for all the detailed info! I think the people reviewing had kept a different breed like 20 years and so they were different than their other breed. IMO you can't expect a different breed to be exactly the same or as friendly etc. I think they also kept them confined, probably breeding pens, so they would all try to fly past them and sometimes managed. You know, to go free range. Well I think I know exactly what the problem was there: I don't think these are confinement type birds?

It really boils down to the individual bird as any breed will have those who've had a great experience and those who've not with any particular bird.

I can say, I'd stay away from Rhode Island Red roosters, especially hatchery stock (Production Reds). I've not had anyone I know happy with them.

My Black Copper Marans got rehomed...nice bird but overly aggressive with me at a young age. Ditto with my Cream Legbar (who actually got the soup pot as I didn't want him going to a home he was that aggressive).

I'm not a fan of Barred Rock roosters, because the ones I've had have been snotty (rehomed or soup pot).

I've had snotty Orpingtons...but mine were hatchery stock (though 2 separate batches). I got rid of all my Orpingtons...and the roo with them. Some have had really good Orpingtons.

I've not had an EE rooster, always ended up with hens, but I've had a number of people comment that their EE was a really nice fellow. Hybridizing can help the temperament....or not....it depends. But again, I've heard a number of people comment on how much they like their EE boy.

I personally love, love, love my Barnevelder rooster, who I've read, is typical of the breed. Very sweet, good with the girls, all around excellent rooster, not overly noisy (and yes, I've got a collar...but his 3/4 son has yet to crow, and I haven't put a collar on him yet...junior is about to find a place in my flock instead of the soup pot for extra roos).

LofMc

It really boils down to the individual bird as any breed will have those who've had a great experience and those who've not with any particular bird.

I can say, I'd stay away from Rhode Island Red roosters, especially hatchery stock (Production Reds). I've not had anyone I know happy with them.

My Black Copper Marans got rehomed...nice bird but overly aggressive with me at a young age. Ditto with my Cream Legbar (who actually got the soup pot as I didn't want him going to a home he was that aggressive).

I'm not a fan of Barred Rock roosters, because the ones I've had have been snotty (rehomed or soup pot).

I've had snotty Orpingtons...but mine were hatchery stock (though 2 separate batches). I got rid of all my Orpingtons...and the roo with them. Some have had really good Orpingtons.

I've not had an EE rooster, always ended up with hens, but I've had a number of people comment that their EE was a really nice fellow. Hybridizing can help the temperament....or not....it depends. But again, I've heard a number of people comment on how much they like their EE boy.

I personally love, love, love my Barnevelder rooster, who I've read, is typical of the breed. Very sweet, good with the girls, all around excellent rooster, not overly noisy (and yes, I've got a collar...but his 3/4 son has yet to crow, and I haven't put a collar on him yet...junior is about to find a place in my flock instead of the soup pot for extra roos).

LofMc

Thanks a lot for all the info! Yeah I've heard RIR are most definitely to be avoided. I've heard BR can be mixed. My girl can be bossy with the other girls but she's very smart and pretty friendly and I do love her. I guess it's probably too much of a risk.

I like my Orpington girls. They're friendly (would be moreso if I spent more time with them) but they're also somewhat stupid. Maybe a bird (and roo) from a breeder might be different?

So it seems EE and Barnevelder might be the top picks for roos

Thanks a lot for all the info! Yeah I've heard RIR are most definitely to be avoided. I've heard BR can be mixed. My girl can be bossy with the other girls but she's very smart and pretty friendly and I do love her. I guess it's probably too much of a risk.

I like my Orpington girls. They're friendly (would be moreso if I spent more time with them) but they're also somewhat stupid. Maybe a bird (and roo) from a breeder might be different?

So it seems EE and Barnevelder might be the top picks for roos

Yes, if you go Orpington, go with a breeder quality. My ranged from cranky/snotty to simply lazy...ate way too much and laid way too little.

Good luck in your roo search. In my experience, the good roos are obvious from the get go...and remain pleasant even in the teen hormones...yes, that's a special rooster, but that's the kind I wanted and kept...and I went through a few before I found my Barney.

LofMc

Yes, if you go Orpington, go with a breeder quality. My ranged from cranky/snotty to simply lazy...ate way too much and laid way too little.

Good luck in your roo search. In my experience, the good roos are obvious from the get go...and remain pleasant even in the teen hormones...yes, that's a special rooster, but that's the kind I wanted and kept...and I went through a few before I found my Barney.

LofMc

Yeah, mine are definitely food obsessed hah but surprisingly they lay pretty well.

And thanks. I'm sure it probably won't be easy but hopefully I can find a good one

Back
Top Bottom