Quilt Help, Please! Log Cabin Finish-Out.....IT'S FINISHED! NEW PICS!!!

Very cool. There is black batting for sale on Amazon.com. But it sounds like you will be fine with the extra piece that you found. I love the colors of your quilt.

Thanks! Appreciate all the input. I'm not fond of red, personally, but the greens are so awesome (my favorite color) that it's been fun to do. I have 7 blocks left to finish, then can start on the border, I think; that is, if I just do a plain border. I see that most log cabin quilts don't have complicated borders, probably since there is so much going on in the quilt itself.

ETA: as of this morning (Sat, Mar 17), I have 3 blocks left to finish. I keep being distracted by other stuff, mostly chickens, of course. I have a green for a border, but it's not as dark as a Hunter green, so not sure it will work, but will check it out next to the quilt when I have the rest of the blocks finished...if I ever get them done.

Last edited:
This green will be the simple 4" border on the quilt-I asked Ellie about this one, if she wanted a darker green, and she likes this one. I rather do, too, actually. It looks darker in person than in this photo-my camera is giving me fits right now. Most of the greens are not super dark in the quilt, so this goes very well with most of them. What do you guys think? The final dimensions will have the width a tad narrower than I wanted (though adequate for about 10" overhang on each side) but if I added blocks to both sides, I'd have extend the batting width.

Thanks, Kathryn. Well, the border is on. I just have to get the washer freed up so I can put the flannel backing through it, then the tedious part of putting the layers together begins. Anyone want to volunteer to some do that for me?? LOL. I think it turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. I will be quilting it in a holly leaf pattern in a thread color called "Old Gold" so I don't go blind trying to see my stitches.

I see that the length allows enough for a pillow tuck of sorts, so I put our pillows under the top to show that in this picture, though I didn't actually tuck it so I wouldn't stretch it. You can see how long it is at the foot of my bed, though, even pulled over the pillows.

Here is the thread color, though this picture doesn't do it justice. It really looks rich and aged in person:

How do you quilters put the layers together? I have no good place to put together a bed quilt. I have pine flooring that is impossible to get all the dog hair and dirt off of not to mention murder on the knees, some carpet in the bedroom but not enough room to spread a complete quilt on the floor, a deck outside that will transfer dirt to the backing for sure if I lay it down on there, etc. I really loathe this part of the process on a bed quilt. The flannel backing has been through the dryer and is ready, but I'm not sure how I want to proceed.

Last edited:
It's done, it's done! I had put it away for the summer back in May after completing one end of the border motif. Just got it back out less than a week ago when our weather turned cool and fall-like.

wee.gif
th.gif

After I figure out a label for the back, will send it to California just in time for Ellie's fall (though it's still pretty darn hot out there right now).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom