Quilters- a newbie needs direction

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
I have never quilted.

BUT- I have been saving my favorite outfits (high-quality onsies/shirts/pants with things on the butt) from each of my spawn. My intention was to turn them over to my office's resident quilter, & then pay her to make me a quilt. Unfortunately, she was laid off and then she moved to Texas.

So I think, "OK, I can do this!" and I start my internet research.

Now I am overwhelmed.

Can someone point me to a good website for learning, or even a simple pattern I could start with? I have a sewing machine and a heck of a learning curve.
I could do one quilt, or one for each kid.

Any direction would be appreciated! Point and I will be off and running.

Quote:
Go to Target, buy a pretty quilt, wrap it up and tell your lovely offspring that you spent hours and weeks of their early childhood making this treasure and then reap the rewards of their guilt complex for the next few decades. Simple.

That site is a little intimidating. *hold me*

Those ladies are artists!

Maybe I will just cut out a bunch of squares, tack them together, and call it good.

I would start by cutting squares/rectangles of equal sizes. Staight lines are easier to match up and sew. I am a seamstress, but I must confess I have only made about half a quilt. I have PLANS to make more.
Good luck! if you have any specific questions, PM me and I will see what I can do to help. I have been sewing since I was 15 and have used all sorts of machines and strange gadgets. Personally, I enjoy it. I just hope you are patient. People who get easily frustrated and have the 'whatever! Its goos enough!' attitude are seldom pleased with what they have made. On the flip side, don't be too much of a perfectionist. The test to see if whatever mistake you have made is really as bad as it looks to you (becauase it usually isn't) is to hand the thing to someone else and ask if they see a problem with it. Don't point at the mistake, just tell them there is one and see if they can find it. If they can't, let it go and keep going! You will learn a lot by doing.
The most important thing is to say calm and allow yourself to enjoy it and learn from it.

Back
Top Bottom