• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I’m fermented enough for them!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Practice and you can catch a fly with chopsticks.

I was doing head count with Batch 1 outside and rocket boy makes a break for it. Without hesitation, I caught him in air. Total reflex. I hope I didn't scramble him too bad.

I put boxes of dirt in the cage. They will walk right into the box. Then jump up. Then walk right off the edge like they don't see the step. I'm concerned.

Nice reflexes!! We have a mobile run/coop setup that we move every few days. We have to catch the quail/lock them in their coop before we move the whole thing. We've gotten really good at the one handed mid-flight catch thing. Also, this past Fall a number of our quail escaped their run (didn't realize they could sneak out of a corner that wasn't fully flush to the ground). Hubs & I agreed; running after, diving for, & catching quail is a great workout. Catching quail is totally doable & oddly satisfying.

Nice reflexes!! We have a mobile run/coop setup that we move every few days. We have to catch the quail/lock them in their coop before we move the whole thing. We've gotten really good at the one handed mid-flight catch thing. Also, this past Fall a number of our quail escaped their run (didn't realize they could sneak out of a corner that wasn't fully flush to the ground). Hubs & I agreed; running after, diving for, & catching quail is a great workout. Catching quail is totally doable & oddly satisfying.
:lol:
This will shorten your work out, but get a net. Crawfish net is small, but tighter mesh for the tiny ones. Bass net for the larger variety. I pulled my net out of the dusty corner and stuck it on top of the quail quarters. Need to hang it up. The free standing quarters will have all kinds of things hanging off it, under the roof and mostly out of the weather.

Badminton rackets might also be a thing... ;)

Last edited:
Need to hang it up.
Great idea for small coops.
8C5C61B2-DB71-4284-9BF2-659A3A109CA5.jpeg

Oh im sorry! I hope you can find them.
I would make some door draft blockers, you sew a rectangle of fabric into a skinny, long pillow-case and fill it with gravel or clay cat litter, or whatever you want, people use them to stop airflow's under doors, but it would work great to make a few, to put when you have gaps on your tractors.
I would make them be about 4 inches high. And maybe in a few different lengths... Heres a couple links to how to make the ones for under doors.

https://www.17apart.com/2013/11/how-to-diy-door-snake-draft-stopper.html?m=1

https://www.marthastewart.com/265344/draft-dodger

Fabric Width: Tube Diameter:
10” wide fabric 2⅞” diameter tube

11” wide fabric 3⅛” diameter tube

12” wide fabric 3½” diameter tube

13” wide fabric 3⅞” diameter tube

14” wide fabric 4⅛” diameter tube

15” wide fabric 4½” diameter tube

16” wide fabric 4¾” diameter tube

Hey, peeeeople! Can I put a huge pile of leaves into the pen? In my mind (okay, now in my mind the quail are leaping into the leaves like children), the quail will tunnel into the pile, find bugs and stay warm. Of course they will eventually spread the leaves out, but I need to know if they can smother in the leaves.

Hey, peeeeople! Can I put a huge pile of leaves into the pen? In my mind (okay, now in my mind the quail are leaping into the leaves like children), the quail will tunnel into the pile, find bugs and stay warm. Of course they will eventually spread the leaves out, but I need to know if they can smother in the leaves.
Do it. They’ll love it.

The pen is snug as a bug, and it went down to about thirty last night. I do have to add that I lost quail last year when the temperature fluctuated quickly. Yesterday was 52 to 30, and it felt like it was still about fifty at seven last night.
Sleeping area is in the back, dead girl in the dish. Should I worry or not? I’m going with not, but would rather ask.
A8675822-7575-48F3-85A7-DF15859F7CFE.jpeg DB0D5B8D-50B0-4FE3-B873-740D4EEF6E62.jpeg

The pen is snug as a bug, and it went down to about thirty last night. I do have to add that I lost quail last year when the temperature fluctuated quickly. Yesterday was 52 to 30, and it felt like it was still about fifty at seven last night.
Sleeping area is in the back, dead girl in the dish. Should I worry or not? I’m going with not, but would rather ask.
I've had a couple that died for no apparent reason. I wouldn't worry. Add more leaves too.

Looks like they do have a wind break and a dry spot. I'll guess you are covered.

Back
Top Bottom