R.I.P. Big Daddy

meggers32

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Vernon, WA
Hello all,

Recently, something killed my beautiful and sassy Big Daddy EOG Banty Rooster. I came home and there he was, and all of his girls were safe and sound, just how he wanted it. He did his job well. We weren't sure what it was at first, maybe a raccoon. However, someone told me that raccoons will make quite a "mess" and this was not the case. What ever it was just tore up his chest area. I know that is gross, sorry, but that is what happened. Unfortunately my son found him, very sad. Do you think it was a hawk? Currently our coop is not covered, but it will be asap!

Anyway, my girls wouldn't sleep on the roost for 2 days. You should have seen how this little banty rooster got "nestled" on the roost between his big mommas. Just the day before, there was an exceptionally cute picture opportunity I did not take, I am really kicking myself. Yes I know, he was just a rooster, but he a really great rooster. My question is should I put another rooster in with my girls? We had a really smooth transition with Big Daddy when we brought him in, who knows what would happen with another.

Thanks for your input, have a great day!

I understand how you're feeling, as someone who added a wonderful rooster to the flock, then lost him almost two years later, suddenly and right in front of my eyes. No one will ever take his place. There's no such thing as "just a rooster", in my opinion. They are worth their weight in gold.

I'm so sorry you lost your roo. Some have such personality, they really steal your heart.

I lost a hen to a hawk, she had a puncture right over her heart. I remember bawling my eyes out, tying netting to the top of the run, kicking myself for not having done it sooner.

Hope the rest of your flock stays safe......

So sorry you lost your little roo. I just lost two of mine to a coon attack. It is horrible to lose them, they all have a place in our hearts.
hugs.gif

so sorry for your loss, I lost a what some would call a game rooster to dogs. He was something eles and he was so tiny too. I adored that lil roo even though he was very fisty. it was really heartbreaking when I found him. Iv never found another game roo I have liked as much as I liked Little bit.

Sorry for your loss they are special little things when we bring them into our homes and lifes. They become more then chickens they become family to us. Some may never understand us crazy chicken people BUT. Us chicken people get each other and understand how heartbreaking it can be to lose one of our special little chickens.

Back
Top Bottom