R.I.P Mei help with the mystery

DaisyDaGuicken

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
So today I went to feed my chickens when I saw one of the hens missing, I went to look for her and saw her dead in the nest. No sign of any injuries or wounds but she was dead on her back. I think it may be a heart attack but I wasn't so sure. If anybody has any ideas please help. I appreciate anything from your experience! I have already lost two chickens last year and one chicken at the end of the first month this year, I want to keep my chickens safe and happy.

How old was Mei? The age of your flock makes a big difference to the answers.

Is it winter? Was she in a draft (I had one bird freeze as she sat beside the coop port...she was lowest on pecking order and decided to sit at the coldest spot on a freezing windy night).

Usually predators leave some sign (feathers, tossed bedding, bite mark).

Sometimes heart attack happens. I had one rooster that dropped dead in his tracks from a heart attack. That happens more in males than females.

A sprinkling of different birds, different scenarios, over the course of many months is not so much to be alarmed about. It happens often because the new flock is not yet savvy enough to stay out of "stupid trick" stuff. Now, if you have had 2 or 3 drop in a matter of days, that would be disease/illness/predator.

Lots of possibilities. Sometimes you simply lose one. Sorry :hugs

LofMc

How old was Mei? The age of your flock makes a big difference to the answers.

Is it winter? Was she in a draft (I had one bird freeze as she sat beside the coop port...she was lowest on pecking order and decided to sit at the coldest spot on a freezing windy night).

Usually predators leave some sign (feathers, tossed bedding, bite mark).

Sometimes heart attack happens. I had one rooster that dropped dead in his tracks from a heart attack. That happens more in males than females.

A sprinkling of different birds, different scenarios, over the course of many months is not so much to be alarmed about. It happens often because the new flock is not yet savvy enough to stay out of "stupid trick" stuff. Now, if you have had 2 or 3 drop in a matter of days, that would be disease/illness/predator.

Lots of possibilities. Sometimes you simply lose one. Sorry :hugs

LofMc
Thank you for replying! I will look into it. The two last year were because of predators. This one was just dead when I found her and she was still warm. Yes, it is winter, but it has started getting warmer here where I live. She is lowest in the pecking order and she usually sits more outside of the coop. I don't raise many chickens, so losing one means a lot to me. But, I really should expect anything to happen. :( :)

Back
Top Bottom