R.I.P. my little friend was killed, what did it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by missourichickenmama, Dec 29, 2008.

1. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] [​IMG] She was so special! When ever I called her name she came to me, all the other chickens except for one only came when I called "CHICKENS!" she came both times.

What ever did it left the body, it only ate the head and part of the breast, and also, it was in the coop in the day time when it happened. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So far, the only Predators around here that I noticed are foxes, the occasional pet dog that ran away from home, owls, red tailed hawks, other hawks, once there was a bald eagle, maybe some raccoons,and DEFIANTLY possums(!)POSSUM!!!! and cats.

I feel so sad, I guess I would like to ''talk'' to other chicken lovers who understand how I feel about my little pet. I know i run risks because I free range, and I still think it's worth it because she was happy during her life, but it still hurts when she is gone, I'll miss you little Blindly.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

I imagine that little Blindly didn't even see it coming.

3. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I don't think she did, she was a silver laced polish, so she did not notice much... mom won't let me do anything to the head feathers so that she can see...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Sorry for your loss.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] I know how much you are hurting as do many here. You came to the right place. [​IMG] Enjoy your memories and feel good knowing she had a good life. I'm so so sorry.
    Ellen

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

sorry for your loss.

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    So sorry for your loss, sounds like a weasel or coon [​IMG]

8. HenJo

HenJo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    I can sympathize with you. I lost my special hen two months ago now. I still miss her and still find myself getting teary eyed thinking about her. [​IMG]

9. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am sooooo sorry. I wish this didn't happen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well, Im no expert, but sounds like a coon got in . The will kill and eat little. I am sorry for you loss. I know its rough.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by