R.I.P. Post pics of your lost & loved birds here.

Didn't get a chance to post this one. Newbie (blue wyandotte) was my favorite little bantam. She was a survivor. She was the only one to hatch and live out of 60 eggs. My school had the humidity way to high. She hatched out a cross-beak. Finally I got to take her home and about 3 days after she came home she developed wry-neck. After days and night of tending to her by my bed she got better. She was able to walks and hold her head in the right position. She was able to go back with my chicks that I hatched. Sadly months later one day she just vanished. No feathers or rooster alarms(6 roos at the time). After hours and hours of looking it became dark. The next morning I woke up before daylight and found her crushed,shredded eaten body in my neighbors yard. She squeezed under the fence to lay and egg under his she (found eggshell with her body). In tears I picked up her body and brought her home and buried her next to Sandy. It was my fault she died because I should of looked harder.... I could of saved her.. it was all my fault....
16241_img_1040.jpg

16241_img_1416_1.jpg

16241_img_1921.jpg

16241_img_1601.jpg

Gee, what a sad thread. . . Well, I could show a photo of over 30 chicks, but. . that would be too sad, and most I didn't get to know. Soo... Here's the latter ones I loved too much.

Crunch, died today: She's a 5 month old New Hampshire Red, was suuch a sweetie, and one of my favored "kids," one of the five NHR's that would be up, awake, and running around for anything - Including mommy and the food mommy gives. I sure miss the times she would climb into my lap, and start chatting herself to sleep.
crunch.JPG

Wolf: Died months ago, was about 6 months old when she passed. She was a calm, friendly, and very bold looking Brahma. She laid enormous eggs, and her last was even double yolked. For the longest time I thought she was a boy because of the dark, browed face she had, which gave her the name "wolf."
4107919777_816aea2851.jpg

Licourice: The sweetest, most hungry, and bravest turken of mine! She was always the first to run up to you, the only one who would do anything for your food, and crawl all over you if you ever sat down. She was my darling girl, and for the longest time I thought she was the healthiest.. But one day her crop told me otherwise. She only made it to about 4 months of age.
licor.JPG

This girl sadly had no name, and I feel guilty for that. She was always noted as the "light silver" or "small silver" because she was the smallest silver polish of my two Silver Laced girls. She had quite the spunky character to her! As a little chick, she was the smallest, and the most picked on. For a while my family asked me if she was a naked neck due to her lack of feathering and slow growth, but as she grew up, she was everyone's favorite. She was very independant - She had her own secluded perch at night, her own nesting box which she just cleaned herself or contemplated things in at day, and when she really felt in the mood - She was always curious, looking at things like "whats that?" She would dig up and pick little quarrels with any plastic baggage that she found laying around. And If not that, she would suddenly have a moment when she would duck her head, run around, and chase whatever Wyandotte pullet was nearby. I think it was her way of feeling a little more up the totem pole than she really was. She was very curious, friendly, and had the neatest, quietest voice.. And right before death, she began to try and lay eggs, which when she did, she would make the most high pitched and quick "bak-ack!!" sound you would ever hear a hen make. She's also the fluffy little chick in my avatar/icon.
light.JPG

li.JPG

I truly love all of these stories folks! Please! PLEASE! Keep them coming!

I'm seriously thinking of printing out all of these and putting them in a binder to show friends who are not chicken people, so that they'll see that, #1, I'm not crazy and that #2, I'm certainly not alone in my love of chickens.

It takes a fellow chicken lover to understand this attachment we all share with our birds. Anyone else just doesn't get it. And that's OK too....it just means all the more birds for us to love!
love.gif
tongue.png

So please, keep the stories and pictures coming. Through the sharing of our memories and love, we keep some small part of these lovely creatures alive forever!
love.gif

chickenred: Those look like chickens that weren't loved and pet-like, though. Probably inhumanely bred Cornish crosses.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
No, that's a reality we don't usually like to see. Were they loved? Probably not, that's the sad part. Unless they grew up in a lovely yard with green things to munch on and proper care from their owners........for their short lives. But we still like to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom