R.i.p

little_grey_bantam

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Russell County
It may sound strange, but I have such an attachment to my roosters.
love.gif

I love their happy nature, their protective, sometimes pain in the butt, chase-you-around-the-yard-and-crow-at-the-wee-hours-of-the-morning personalities.
I love their etiquettes around the girls and how they are so lively. If it came down to it, I think I would raise a farmful of roosters!

Nonetheless, ANOTHER one of my Blue Laced Red Wynadottes died...
I'd been carrying him around for over 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, brought him home & almost cost my bantam a heart attack ("I didn't even WANT a boyfriend, let alone one THAT big?!?! [insert squawks of anger]
barnie.gif

I brought him out to the farm a few days later & freaked out the grocery kid "Hey, watch out, there's a rooster back there" LOL
wee.gif

He was due for the big roaster in the sky a few days back, but I wanted him to live one last day out watching the sunrise and sunset before we got the deed done...
sad.png
My other naughty roosters thought he was a hen when I was letting them free-range & he got a wee bit beat up twice.
somad.gif
I came to his rescue & we'd "graze" together.
However, last night, I took him to do my chores, brought him inside & placed him in a basket... he passed away sometime during the night...
I'm glad he did, because I was beginning to get stress, I kept thinking of everyone on here who had the best intentions, but couldn't let go
It's funny, cause we just butchered two roosters yesterday, but I think because this guy has been so close to me it hurt a bit more.
hit.gif

I was hoping maybe you guys could help me figure out what was wrong with him?
Within 2 weeks, he went downhill quick. It started with a slight limp, I believe on his right leg.
I checked him, no broken leg, I figured he'd stub his toe and it was sore, so I didn't do much... he'd walk on both legs after awhile...
I came out a few days later & noticed he was laying down a lot... then again, it was REALLY windy, everyone was laying down & dust bathing...
It wasn't until a week that I noticed he was staying in his coop a lot & when he did laying down. He was still hopping in and out, but laying down.
I began asking around, no one had an answer. Vets all said "butcher him" and the closest vet place is at the University which is I beileve 300-400 miles away?
I honestly swear, if I had the money, I would have drive my butt there... and paid to fix him.
Short story, I finally slightly noticed a difference in leg size... the right leg, it felt like was losing muscle mass...
I just did the best I could to keep him comfortable. He came to live with us & I carried him everywhere like a baby.
Throughout the entire week, I would check his leg and the muscles just became smaller. By the last few days, it felt like there was just bones and skin and ligaments.
Somewhere in the middle of the week, his other leg began going downhill too... I think cause he couldn't get around anymore the muscle was atrophying, but not as bad as the right leg.
Then he died
hit.gif

I'd been praying he would pass away.

This had previously happened to another rooster, but I wasn't home at the time & only saw his carcass (he was alive a day after, but there wasn't much we could do).

Here is the deal, none of our other birds have died... they're ONLY a year old (the Wynadottes). ONLY the Wyandottes are effected... all with leg problems. This guy WAS the biggest one... maybe his weight was so big that it caused issues? Is it genetic? What is it?!

I'll cut his leg today & do an autopsy
hmm.png
Maybe have some photos up.
Anyways, I know, I know, roosters are a dime a dozen, but I still love them
hmm.png
I'm sure others can agree!

I am saving this thread...sorry about your loss. I too have had some leg troubles but only with my wyandottes. I am watching to see if anyone else on here will write in with some information about this. Is it a breed issue? I have hatched lots of chicks...only the wyandottes have given me trouble, they hatch fine, some even walk fine and then I go check on them and they look like splayed leg, I have tried the band-aid thing, but the leg will just keep twisting and not getting any better. I have even had one hen that was around 3-4 mos old, fine one day and then her leg messed up...I kept her alive for a long time thinking it would get better...no luck. It's like you said with the rooster, her leg just sort-of deteriorated...

Back
Top Bottom