R There docile, pure-breed, standard size, AMERICAN chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmc, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    The accent is on docile.

Heard some nice things about Barred Rocks being relatively docile.

I know it's probably hit or miss w/any individual of any breed. But IN GENERAL, what pure breed (no 'hybrid mules', TYVM), HERITAGE BREED, American chicken (roosters and hens) could be called docile? I've heard dreadful tales of RIR cocks.

I know the (English class) BOs are famous for docility, as are Bantams.........
    Also heard Auracanas are docile (but they're not truly American class, though.

Dominiques (I'd LOVE to try them someday), how 'bout them?

I've got 5 RIR and 2 (as I've just discovered) NHR 12 weeks old pullets. 2 RIRs are very tame, but none of the seven will tolerate being picked up. And three of the seven (2 RIR and 1 NHR ) are positively skittish!

2. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    You might look at the Wyandottes. They are quite nice, come in several colors and are cold hardy. Myself, I like the Jerseys. Both are definitly on the other end of the scale when compared to the RIRs for temperment.

3. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Go to mypetchicken.com and click on breed selection (I think it is located under "which chicken" or something like that). It will give full descriptions, including class, type, size, and how docile the breed is.

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Generally, Barred Rocks are nice birds, as are Delawares if you get them from the right place.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I LOVE my Buff Orpington girls.
    I also have a Black Australorp Black Cochin and a Partridge Rock. All are docile and very friendly.
    Now, whether this has to do with their breed, specific personalities or the fact they lived in my living room for nearly 8 weeks. I dont know. But they are all very friendly and docile. Minute I go out to the coop and open the door they are all looking to be held or be on one of us. And this includes my husband, who never gave them treats or hung out with them like I do

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

My Golden Laced Wyandottes are the the most skitty of my five different breeds out there. The only bird that will come and fly up into my lap is one of the Buff Orpington hens, she's been named Abigail. A coupld of the barred rocks and RIR's are friendly in that they don't run away from me, but they don't want to be picked up at all.

7. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Buckeyes!!
    Not only American, but American female created from Ohio.
    Very friendly, also known to not feather pick each other (hmm)

8. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    Buff hens are almost always nice, the roos on the other hand...... not so much. You should look into the standard cochin breeds like buff brahmas. they by far are the nicest birds i have ever had they grow up to be big chickens but they are always very calm and don't run away from you. So look for any standard size feather footed breed.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My black sex-linked is a great bird. Our Plymouth barred rock isn't too far behind. Both are lap chickens.

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Buffs, black australorpes, and Delawares are my picks for omst docile. Barred rocks are sweet as well. I just re-homed 3 of my wyandottes as they are more aggressive then my other breeds. mypetchicken.com does have a nice set up to compare breeds.

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by