Rabbit cage experimental build

Great job building your hutches! Mine are a similar size and my bunnies do well in them, however I have Mini Rex which are rather small. Mine do live outside, but on a 3 season porch in the winter as it gets cold and snowy here (NH). What breed do you have?

I echo the issue of the wire shelving being spaced too far apart so I'm glad you added hardware cloth. I know with Mini Rex they suggest not having wire bottoms on cages as their feet are rather sensitive. Not sure to what extent this is accurate, but I'd rather play it safe.

I let my rabbits spend time in the grass and haven't had an issue with them overeating, but that is good information to have as I may have just overlooked any symptoms. I do feed them green, leafy vegetables pretty regularly so that may play a factor as well. As other's have mentioned, they do need to be covered - for protection from the sun/weather as well as predators. I'm building my buns an outdoor play areas and was considering using an outdoor carpet for part of the area instead of them being completely on the ground. I need to check into what kind would be safe for them, but this may be another option for you.

Congratulations on your new endeavor into rabbits! My first litter arrived yesterday with 8 (!!) kits :love Best of luck!
View attachment 2063320
Oh my gosh they are SO cute!!

If you have not already done so, go to youtube and look up jnull0 and see his rabbit cages. He builds them with shelving too, though I believe his are plastic coated. I build my own, but use supplies from KW cages

Does with kits get 30x30 cages- the new ones have "bunny saver" wire around the bottom
black otter and kits.jpg

Grow outs get 30x30 (5 to a cage)
Feeder rabbits 9-9.jpg

Thank you, I will do so! The senior doe - her name is Valentine - is supposedly due to kindle today. She's a very large, experienced doe that the breeder says is an excellent mother who has had large litters. WE call her 'disapproving rabbit' as her nickname because she hasn't really warmed up to us after the experience of moving and the 4 hour combined time in a small cage for the breeder to bring her halfway and us to pick them all up and then down to our place. She's made a hollow in her nest box straw and has pulled some fur but hasn't put it into the nest...it's just dropped down through the floor into the pellet pan.
I see pine cones in the picture...is that a good thing to give them? I'm still reading lists of what they can and what they can't eat...

Here are pictures. Aren't they cute? The first is the senior doe, Valentine. The second is the young doe, now named Fern. The third is the young buck, now named Bucky. I know, not very original but we like the Avengers, so he's named for Bucky Barnes.

Attachments

• 20200327_145249.jpg
    20200327_145249.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200327_145317.jpg
    20200327_145317.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200327_145416.jpg
    20200327_145416.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 8
Only 4? I want to breed my mini lop again but last time I got 9. I don't need 9. 4 would be perfect. Congratulations. :)
Thanks. I was surprised too. The breeder says she's had 8 in the past, but he also says the buck, not the doe, determines litter size and he was using a new buck. They are very big babies though, I think...this is my first ever litter of bunnies, so I'm learning as I go!

Thanks. I was surprised too. The breeder says she's had 8 in the past, but he also says the buck, not the doe, determines litter size and he was using a new buck. They are very big babies though, I think...this is my first ever litter of bunnies, so I'm learning as I go!
I haven't heard that about the buck. I enjoyed raising 2 litters. They are so adorable. I want another, but I have no room unless I remove a few more.

I don't think that's true about the buck. Species where the female needs a certain amount of stimulation to release eggs are incredibly rare outside of the cat family. It varies based on age, body condition, diet at time of conception and time from last litter.

Back
Top Bottom