Rabbit got into a fight, now it’s eye looks terrible. Advice needed!

I think there could be real risk that he could lose that eye.
One of my pet rabbits got a small scratch on her eye from a cat when she escaped one time, and it got infected. We took her to the vet, who gave us some antibiotic ointment to put in it, but told us most likely we would have to remove the eye.
Amazingly, it got better after a couple of weeks, although she still have a small grey area in that eye.
More recently, two of my male guinea pig got into a fight, and one took a bite to the eye. I just left it alone, as he was still acting ok, and the eye basically shrunk and closed over. He was then a one eyed piggy, but it didn't seem to bother him.
My point is, small things can easily cause lose of an eye and infection, so if he means a lot to you and you want to save the eye, I would be getting him to a vet

I totally can relate to trying an at home remedy. No judgement here, and choose to ignore those who disagree and force their opinion on you. You're not a bad person for not taking him in.
Thanks so much, truly means so much! I feel so panicky about this whole situation, but you’ve helped a lot.

That sounds great! Keep me updated, and if you have more pics I'd love to take a closer look!
I will definitely get more pictures!

One more question, I was taught a trick a while ago to put a chamomile tea bag on an Infected rabbit eye. I have done that multiple times, and the Infection cleared up soon after. Would that be a good thing to try in this case, or better to stay away from that?

....I am no rabbit pro. But I have had lots of rabbits, cats, dogs, birds, and horses through the years.
I agree that the vet is his best option.
I also understand why the distance is a big challenge.
....question one- does your family (or a friend) have a relationship with a vet that is closer, who might be willing to see your boy even if it’s not their specialty?
I would want a dye test on that eye to see how bad the damage is. 😓
That is something that any vet -can- do. It’s just a matter of whether the vet is willing to do it.
....if the answer is no, I would add triple antibiotic eye ointment (terramycin based) to the cleaning, 4x a day, ideally. But no less than 2x a day if he’s not tolerating it well.
If you don’t have that on hand, you can substitute “people” triple antibiotic ointment/ neosporin with NO pain meds in a pinch. Just a dab in his eye after cleaning
If he is very docile....I’d also monitor his temperature.... if it spikes, it’s indicative of an infection and you are going to need to seek additional help, or, sorry to say, cull him if you can’t get it under control.

Just my .02$
Hopefully someone else will have more ideas 💕
So sorry for your boy 😓

Thanks so much, truly means so much! I feel so panicky about this whole situation, but you’ve helped a lot.

I will definitely get more pictures!

One more question, I was taught a trick a while ago to put a chamomile tea bag on an Infected rabbit eye. I have done that multiple times, and the Infection cleared up soon after. Would that be a good thing to try in this case, or better to stay away from that?
I have never heard of that, nor have I had to deal with eye infection (which is crazy because I've easily surpassed 100+ rabbits just this Spring if I count all my sold litters). They truly don't get injured often. I am fairly experienced medically with these similar problems, but unfortunately (or is it) I have not been able to learn from an eye infection situation on a rabbit in person.

thank you all so incredibly much!! I appreciate all your comments.

@HeritageFan, I found this. Would it work?
DFE0E700-E7C4-4888-9053-669CE9135B65.jpeg

BE17F7F6-0A91-474D-9A4B-8C818CFBF511.jpeg

Ok, I just cleaned his eye with warm water and got some pictures.

7B5AB74A-7AD3-4491-8B50-A1FF884B86B5.jpeg

BAD26C64-6785-4CA9-A4B2-76D26D92BD41.jpeg

How could I do a vision test? I tried moving my hand quickly by that eye to see if he would flinch, and he did not. But, I did it on his good eye also, and he didn’t flinch either, so I’m not sure that worked 😅

Ok, I just cleaned his eye with warm water and got some pictures.

View attachment 3598452

View attachment 3598455

How could I do a vision test? I tried moving my hand quickly by that eye to see if he would flinch, and he did not. But, I did it on his good eye also, and he didn’t flinch either, so I’m not sure that worked 😅
Clean off ALL that goop.
A Q-Tip should help.
Do you have Neosporin?

Back
Top Bottom