Rabbit help! Semi emergency *update*

Quote:
Ok thank you, the feed store I go to only has the pellets and they looked at my cross-eyed today when I asked.
Do you know any brands I could be feeding?

Quote:
I tried the litter pan trick but she still pees in the food dish...
She is so strange. But thank you I will try.

I am not 100% what's in ours since we don't mix it our feed store does. Its a lot like sunaturals natural feed for rabbits...We only provide this type of food in small amounts. In reality pellets were made to fatten a rabbit up quickly so it could be slaughtered.

Our rabbits have access to fresh hay all day, and small amount of this feed. And are given fresh organic veggies daily!
smile.png
we only have 3 rabbits so its easy to feed them this diet! I am sure it would be to expensive if you were feeding hundreds! Plus our garden helps a lot!

Last edited:
Try putting hay in one of those suet cake holders and hanging it where she can just get to it.
You have to really stuff it so she can pull it out. Also one of ours enjoy peeing in one spot so
you cant put the bowls near that spot.We are having a prob right now with one that likes the
sound of bowls clanging and we cant keep water in them. Also he wont drink from a bottle.

I would suggest to not give her too much carrots, you could cause her to het diarrhea especially if he is not eatting enough roughage. Try the hay and try hay cubes. At this point anything with a high water content could give her diarrhea. What does her pen look like? Maybe if we see it we could suggest some new way to offer the food to her. Also, what was her last owner feeding her?

peeing in the food dish is pretty common.......i would give her lots of hay. Alfalfa hay, grass hay, any and all hay. Most people who litterbox train bunnies will often throw a bunch of hay into the litterbox and bunnies like to sit in there and eat it. Yes they will pee on it but not all of it. I would do that. I would let her pee in the food dish and then dump it into the corner of the litterbox so she gets the idea to pee there instead. She should pick a corner of the cage and use it. Might take some time though. Once she figures out to go in the litterbox, she should not go in the dish also. But if you have the dish in a certain area of the cage, put the litterbox there instead.....and put the dish elsewhere. Rabbits are pretty particular about wanting to go RIGHT THERE, wherever it may be. Once they are used to go in the litterbox, you can often move the box and they will follow it.....but in the beginning, go with the flow.

I would also put a bunch of hay CUBES in there. Loose cubes. Not in a dish or anything. She should chew on those if she is hungry and her food pellets are peed on.....

also, use a metal dish for now. There is the chance the pee smell is soaking into the other, no matter how good you clean it. If you have nasty pee soaked food or bedding put that into the litterbox. When I am litterbox training a bunny, I let the box get nice and dirty to reinforce that THAT area is their potty area. If you keep it too clean, they sometimes seem to forgot that it is the right area.

We have the metal feeders wired to the outside of the cage, up high enough to prevent that. They have to stand tall to eat. And it doesn't discourage feeding either. They are pigs.

She needs hay - timothy hay. Alfalfa can be too rich for older buns. And pellets should be the smaller part of her diet. I agree with the hay feeder idea, too.

Hi,

She needs timothy hay or another grass hay (orchard grass, coastal etc). Rabbits should have 80-90% hay in their diet, and about a handful of pellets a day and a handful of veggies/herbs. Make sure there is always hay in her cage for her to eat.

What I do is put a handful of pellets in once a day, without a bowl, and then the bunny gets to forage for it's food which is good stimulation. They eat it within 5 minutes so no bowl is needed anyway. Greedy little buns
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom