Rabbit input needed please

Eggscaping

Enjoying Life!
Dec 4, 2018
Lakeside, Oregon
These are pics of my young doe, Fern. She just started doing this...carrying around a mouthful of hay. When I take her something else she likes to eat, like a snippet of fresh clover, she tries to eat it THROUGH the mouthful of hay. If I take the hay from her, she's fine with that and eats the food I'm offering, but then later I see her running around with a mouthful of hay again. The mouthful I took from her was really wet in the middle, where her mouth had been holding it. She doesn't seem sick at all just...obsessed with holding a hunk of hay in her mouth.
She will be five months old at the end of this month so would this possibly be some sort of 'playing at nest making because she wants to breed' activity? I do plan to breed her, but wanted to wait until she was six months.

Attachments

• 20200518_111323.jpg
    20200518_111323.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200518_111328.jpg
    20200518_111328.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 5
Is she just holding it or making a nest.. is there a possibility that she is pregnant and nesting. Preparing for her babies.. most start this about three days before then the da before/of they will pull hair to add to it

Is she just holding it or making a nest.. is there a possibility that she is pregnant and nesting. Preparing for her babies.. most start this about three days before then the da before/of they will pull hair to add to it
She is making a nest in her "potty box". But no possibility she is pregnant, she's just barely 4 1/2 months old and I have never had her in with a male since I got her in December.

I would try giving her a nest box and see if she will make a nest. If she does she is more than likely ready to breed.

People call that "haystaching" (the idea being a hay mustache), and the only rabbits I have ever seen doing it either were pregnant, or thought they were (experiencing a false pregnancy). I have seen does do a similar thing with a huge mouthful of fur. Either way, it is nest-making behavior. Practice may not make perfect, but it won't hurt. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom