1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit Show :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Connorrm, May 28, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Well this is what I do other than have some chickens [​IMG] Thought many of you would enjoy this:

The Showroom Floor:

[​IMG]

Well over 1000 rabbits and 250 exhibitors. We were in a HUGE barn in the Vermont State Fair grounds.

Jersey Woolies TAKE ME TO THE SHOW!

[​IMG]

Judge "setting up a rabbit" basically he's posing it for evaluation. He runs his hands over it, evaluates the fur, bone, and over all type/conformation:

[​IMG]

A very cute Siamese Sable buck Jersey Wooly:

[​IMG]

Judging Netherland Dwarf you will notice they're all lined up in those "coops" they get ranked in there. This particular breed gets shown by colors, then by the group. So for example Self Group is: Black, Chocolate, Lilac, and Blue. So they compete against the same color, then the best of those colors compete against each other for group.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linda Cassella, a great friend holding one of her English Angoras....and yes, that is where high quality angora wool comes from. The rabbit looks enormous, but in reality it's only 5.5 pounds.

[​IMG]

Best in Show Choosing (Linda's English Angora won):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    wow, thats really cool. i dont have rabbits, but that makess me want em. That angora is a fluffy monster!

3. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    What show was that? The REW Linda has ... is it the lady she won ARBA with (and shaved a couple weeks back) or "Mini Mee" as she jokingly calls her?

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    That was actually another rabbit. The doe Linda won with at Convention she put "in the freezer" which is an extremely temperature controlled part of her rabbitry. It allows the rabbit to hold coat and keep condition so they aren't constantly reproducing more and more wool.

I give her a TON of credit. She's easily one of the most savvy and determined breeders I've ever met. Her animals truly are almost flawless.

Edit: The show was in Rutland VT

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  5. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Sounds like it was a good show. I won't have a rabbit show until June 18th and again the next weekend.

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Thats really neat, thanks Connorm!

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Oh that Siamese Sable is adorable! I miss the fairs. My little one will be old enough for 4H this next year, so it won't be too long before I get to enjoy it with her. [​IMG]

8. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay ... so that is the youngster I saw last time we visited. She has matured nicely from the pix. The convention winner was sheared a couple weeks ago. Linda is awsome, a great friend ... she was originally from here.

9. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice pics. Makes me want to go to a rabbit show.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I love shows!!! We are getting ready to hit the circuit this fall with our French Angora jr. doe.

[​IMG]

As soon as the two adult, who already have grand championships grow out completely they are going too!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by