Rabbit with a snotty nose😣

I just checked her and her snot seemed to go away, should I still separate her just observe her for a bit longer
Snuffles can come and go, but it usually sticks around for a spell. Sounds like she may have just gotten something in her nose like some hay dust, it happens, but if it comes back frequently I would have a culture done.
I would separate her because they can wipe snot off and seem fine for a little while. Just one week, keep a close eye on her, listen for sneezing, and check her inner paws for mucus.
Yes we quarantined for a little more than a week. Yes I would say it’s pretty dusty, but not very much ammonia. Should I remove all of her hay??
Hay is important but maybe just give her some alfalfa blocks for now. And the occasional piece of celery so that she has some extra fiber. Hay can be quite dusty and that may be why she was snotty, I would also throw down some wood pellets like they use in horse stalls to keep down any amonia, and if at all possible I would put a fan up to push air out of the barn.

Sometimes rabbits get snotty noses from several different things, it doesn't always indicate sickness. A snotty nose from a sickness (like snuffles) would be white and more permanent/constant.

If it is hot and/or dusty, it could very likely be her nose is just running a little bit from either or both of those things. My rabbits (who I've kept outside) have gotten somewhat wet/runny noses before from what I believe the heat, or dust or pollen in the air.

Making sure they have plenty of fresh water, keeping them cool (in the shade, fan/s, frozen water bottles, a cool tile in the shade) and keeping her away from dust like you are doing should help!
If she is showing no other signs of sickness (from snuffles or anything else) like lethargy, grinding the teeth and hunching in pain, discharge in the eyes/watery eyes, sneezing, or any other sort of symptoms (you can even run a google search for snuffles symptoms, I can't quite remember what they all are) then it is very likely it isn't serious.

Also, make sure she has hay 24/7. Rabbits shouldn't go without. You could even mist it with water if you want to keep down the dust. She should eat it provided it isn't too wet. (Perhaps your rabbit isn't as picky as mine lol, but he won't touch hay if it's wet or old)

If she is showing no other signs of sickness (from snuffles or anything else) like lethargy, grinding the teeth and hunching in pain, discharge in the eyes/watery eyes, sneezing, or any other sort of symptoms (you can even run a google search for snuffles symptoms, I can't quite remember what they all are) then it is very likely it isn't serious.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Snuffles is respiratory, and when a rabbit dies from a respiratory illness they (in my personal experience) don't waste away very much in the beginning, they can live with it for years. It takes a while for those symptoms to develop and by the time it gets that serious your rabbit has been exposed to other rabbits for too long.

Snuffles starts small and doesn't look serious. My doe had some stress snot when I first brought her home, I brushed it off. She had a little bit of snot when it got hot, not bad tho. Then she had babies and she had some sneezes and a little bit of snot, at the time it was dusty in the barn so I brushed it off, again, but only because she was healthy in every other way for 90% of the time. Then her babies were seriously sick, so I removed them, but it was too late, my other rabbits had babies and the same thing happened over and over again. The whole barn had to be culled.
Out of the whole barn only two rabbits displayed signs of serious illness.

Occasional snot can be totally unrelated to bacteria or pathogens, which is why I remove all variables like hay, dust, and amonia. Rabbits can survive just fine without hay for a few days. They just need an alternative source of fiber and protein, like alfalfa blocks which is my rabbits main source of hay during transportation, and confinement.

Sometimes rabbits get snotty noses from several different things, it doesn't always indicate sickness. A snotty nose from a sickness (like snuffles) would be white and more permanent/constant.

If it is hot and/or dusty, it could very likely be her nose is just running a little bit from either or both of those things. My rabbits (who I've kept outside) have gotten somewhat wet/runny noses before from what I believe the heat, or dust or pollen in the air.

Making sure they have plenty of fresh water, keeping them cool (in the shade, fan/s, frozen water bottles, a cool tile in the shade) and keeping her away from dust like you are doing should help!

Also, make sure she has hay 24/7. Rabbits shouldn't go without. You could even mist it with water if you want to keep down the dust. She should eat it provided it isn't too wet. (Perhaps your rabbit isn't as picky as mine lol, but he won't touch hay if it's wet or old)
Well here is what I noticed tonight, after evening chores I put her back in her hutch in the shed and she has snot again, but no snot all day while she was outside 🤷‍♀️ If you really think It would be wise do a culture test I will contact my veterinarian

Back
Top Bottom