Rabbit with a snotty nosešŸ˜£

Chickenlover0810

Songster
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
Hello, I bought a new 5 month old Flemish giant doe around 2-3 weeks ago and this morning I noticed she had a snotty nose, Iā€™ve never had a rabbit that has gotten sick or anything so please help me!! I gave all my rabbit including the snotty one some ProBios probiotic powder in their water bowls. Thatā€™s all I really know what to do, Iā€™m a worrier so any suggestions are helpfulllll

Hello, I bought a new 5 month old Flemish giant doe around 2-3 weeks ago and this morning I noticed she had a snotty nose, Iā€™ve never had a rabbit that has gotten sick or anything so please help me!! I gave all my rabbit including the snotty one some ProBios probiotic powder in their water bowls. Thatā€™s all I really know what to do, Iā€™m a worrier so any suggestions are helpfulllll
What color is the snot? Is her breath rattly? Did she have the same snot or any similar discharge when you bought her? Is her poop solid? Is she sneezing? Is she panting? Is she outdoors?
Did you buy her from a breeder?

I would separate her immediately if you have another rabbit.

What color is the snot? Is her breath rattly? Did she have the same snot or any similar discharge when you bought her? Is her poop solid? Is she sneezing? Is she panting? Is she outdoors?

Kinda clear snot like ours, breathing fine, no snot when I bought her that I noticed, poop is pretty solid maybe a little soft, I havenā€™t really noticed sneezing, no panting, she is an outdoor rabbit she lives in a shed and on nice days play outside in an exercise pen, yes I bought her from a show rabbit breeder as I will use her for rabbit shows

Also when you say separate her, they are already in a separate cages, should I move her to a different barn?

Kinda clear snot like ours, breathing fine, no snot when I bought her that I noticed, poop is pretty solid maybe a little soft, I havenā€™t really noticed sneezing, no panting, she is an outdoor rabbit she lives in a shed and on nice days play outside in an exercise pen, yes I bought her from a show rabbit breeder as I will use her for rabbit shows
Does she have hay? Is there very much amonia and dust in the air?
Also when you say separate her, they are already in a separate cages, should I move her to a different barn?
Yes. Submicroscopic pathogens don't respect cage walls.
I would separate her for a bout two weeks and keep a very close eye on her. Don't handle her and then touch the other rabbits, feed her last to limit exposure. If she clears up and removing hay or cleaning the barn helps then I suspect she isn't sick but just has a sensitive respiratory system.
If that snot persists or turns white then take her to the vet and have a culture done to see if it's snuffles.

Also, was she quarantined from the other rabbits when you got her 2-3 weeks ago and just recently placed in the barn?

Back
Top Bottom