RABBITS???????

BrackenFarms

Songster
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Easley, SC
Are rabbits really a nuisance or predator to chickens? Why? I am asking because i saw in an advertisement for the electric free range fencing they listed rabbits along with a coyote and a fox???

I let my rabbits run around in the yard sometimes with my free range chickens and they don't even care about the chickens..lol

i guess because most of mine i let out are female rabbits i know male rabbits can be kinda mean sometimes

Rabbits are terrible predators of my garden plants. Maybe hens and chicks are at risk but I'm not sure if rabbits like succulants.

I wouldn't worry about bunnies, especially if you're fencing out coyotes and foxes. Rabbits are prey animals themselves.

Happy Solstice!

Wayne

I think they are referring to rabbits eating the chicken feed. We have had an increase in rabbit numbers since we got the chickens. Luckily the coyotes only seem to be interested in the rabbits so far.

I think the reason they want to keep rabbits away is for their digging abilities. They could dig into a coop very easily & cause trouble when other predators use their holes. That & they aren't the friendliest to new chicks.

A long time ago, I had just bought baby chicks from the feed store and I had them in a cage with a divider. ON the other side was a rabbit, The next morning I found that somehow the chicks got through the divider and the rabbit ate them. But He had food so I seriously doubt that he was hungry.. But anyways..

I have free range rabbits and they have never hurt the chickens.
But yes, they do eat the chickens feed.

ep.gif
Those chicken/rabbit vids are Crazy!!! Very tolerant chicken in the second video. Even I wanted to boot the little rascle.
wink.png
Thanks for sharing those. The first one was hysterical.

Back
Top Bottom