Rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by roosters97, May 6, 2009.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    **Sigh** Well i was SOO excited to get a male rabbit for my female...they (she) had babies and guess what! SHE ATE THEM!!! what to do what to do i have one live one what do I do with it? Also there were seven...Is there more? she dug a deep hole and i cant really see it.

2. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Feed a small ball of raw hamburger meat before she has her babys. It is suppose to keep them from eating them.

3. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I had one rabbit eat her babies. It some thing they do if they can't raise them or if it is their first time. I would take the only baby to her to nurse but raise it in the house. I would also rebreed her as soon as possible.

My rabbit was a bad rabbit. She always bit be so once she did that I ate her. Bad rabbit bad.

4. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:But she's the one eating them! what do I feed the baby?

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Did you touch the babies before she ate them? If you touch the babies when they are hairless you always need to rub the mother's nose with your hand and then they won't eat them, but if you don't do that they usually will.

6. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:No i didn't i didn't even know they were there!

7. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Paddock, that's an old wives tale. There is no truth in it. Trust me, all of the baby buns I have known have been handled within hours of birth. Sometimes buns eat their babies. First time moms do it more often than any other. Give her 2 more breedings, if neither of those are successful, then she's just not mommy material.
    Sorry you lost your babies. [​IMG] You can rebreed the female as soon as you feel like it, but I would give her a week or so at least.
    The live one probably won't live. IF you really want to save it, then you can use an eyedropper and feed it warm whole cow's milk-I think.Goat's milk might be better, and if you can express milk from the mom that is ideal. Is the mom totally rejecting the baby? If the babe has some suckling instinct, you can just hold the momma upside down and put the baby on a teat every hour or so-you might be able to get away with 2-4 hours.

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Baby rabbits only nurse twice a day .. morning and evening .. I've known some people to have success in keeping baby in the house and returning to the nest box before daylight and right before dark to see if mamma will nurse .. but it sounds like her nest is actually a hole that she dug? That might be more difficult.

I've always been fortunate enough to have other rabbits nursing babies and could just transplant the little orphan..

Breed her back .. she might do better next time!

9. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    She's dead

10. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Who's dead? Momma or the baby?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by