Rabbits

bee_wrangler

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
I know this is a poultry site but I need some opinions and know alot of us have other pets aswell so I thought this would be a good question for the Random Ramblings page. We have been thinking of adding a rabbit or two to our hobby farm but like dogs and cats I see so many breeds I am lost lol. I am looking for friendly kind that likes to be held and played with. I would like to keep it (or them) in the barn so it would have to be hearty and able to handle cold weather. I am thinking maybe a regular meat rabbit type but I don't know if they are playful and friendly with kids or not. Anyone have any advise on rabbits or opinions on what kind to get?

For a pet, I love Holland Lops. They're so calm and friendly and they're small enough for my kids to handle easily. Mini lops are also make great pets, but a bit big for the kids. I also have New Zealand Whites for meat but they're more skittish, especially as babies and they get really, really big and hard to handle easily.

Any rabbit has the potential for a great pet if you handle it regularly and get it used to people.

We have had mini lops and mini rexs, I would choose a rex because they shed less ,the fur comes out in clumps, mine did well in the winter.

I have a dwarf lop and a mini lop they are wonderful pets.

If you want a friendly rabbit hold, play and talk to them a lot when they are little so they won't be afraid pof people.

Thank you all for your replies! I looked the rabbits up on the net... the mini lop looks just right for the kids... the flemish giants look just right for me LOL! Those things are massive! I thought it was a photoshop at first lol.

Quote:
Yeah..they are big.. BUT.. they are called the gentle giants of the bunny world for a reason...
They really are cool rabbits. Very calm .. IMO..

I looked at a couple video's on youtube of them. One video the guy was rubbing the rabbits belly and it was layed out with all fours sticking up. It was almost as big as the guy petting it lol. It looked so happy and relaxed, same with the other video's. I am definitely going to get one
smile.png

Quote:
You should talk to my brother... His is like a cat or dog.. it follows them around the house and hops up on the couch with them to hang out and watch t.v....
tongue.png

I have one too..but he dosent roam the house... but hes still very friendly and cool.
They litter box train very easy too! Have fun!
smile.png

Quote:
pound for pound new zealand whites have a better meat to bone ratio and grow faster than flemish giants. Those buggers have much sturdier bones and about the same amount of meat as a NZW.... plus NZW's grow out faster
smile.png
Which means cheaper meat to $$ ratio....

NZW's are the heavyweight winner of the meat rabbit world.

Back
Top Bottom