Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Hello everybunny! Is there anyone in the group who shows rabbits? I really want to start showing my silver foxes. I acquired a proven herd of senior show does and I want to show their babies. I've never shown a rabbit or even been to a rabbit show. I planned on breeding for meet, but figured I may as well have some more fun with them since I have them.
I've been showing rabbits for four years in the Midwest United States. If you have any questions about showing, just ask! Also, once you breed your does and get some babies, feel free to post some good, posed photos of them and I and others can critique their showability (though no online evaluation compares to that of a judge).

I've been showing rabbits for four years in the Midwest United States. If you have any questions about showing, just ask! Also, once you breed your does and get some babies, feel free to post some good, posed photos of them and I and others can critique their showability (though no online evaluation compares to that of a judge).

Okay awesome! Today is my first does due date. When can I start handling them? I didn't know if it would upset the mom too much or something.

I have questions about rabbit pellets. Restating background info--I have silver fox rabbits; one buck and two does (currently one is due late next week, and one w 6wk kits). In addition to their pellets, they get timothy hay and occasional treats like carrots, celery, apples, spring mix...The buck and non-lactating doe get a cup of pellets daily, with the kits/mama free choice pellets.

I have been getting my pellets from the same semi-local mill that makes the 20% protein layer feed that I like for my chooks. Recently, when reordering I found that the mill has been bought and no longer will carry the pellets I had been getting, only carrying a premium show pellet. So, I have to switch kinds now, and did pick up a bag of the new kind to try. The price on the new show feed is fine and seems comparable, so I could just stick with it. I like getting feed from the small local feed company, and like that both the chicken and bunny feeds are usually manufactured about a month before I purchase, even with the ownership switch. I also have another type right now that I had to pick up from my local Murdoch's due to running out. But, the pellet size is larger and doesn't work as well in my feeders, so I won't continue it past this bag. But this all brings up some questions.

My previous ration and the new ration are both 17% protein (Hubbard ShowRite). Now, I've learned that that is a bit higher than adult buns need, but ok for my mamas/kits. If I choose to switch to getting pellets at Murdoch's, I could also get a Nutrena 15% type or a Purina 16% type. The Purina one has a higher fiber content, but otherwise the other nutritional values on all three are similar. They also carry a Purina 20% protein with 9% fiber, or 9% protein w 3% fiber. Thing is with Murdoch's, the ages on the bags are generally older, but I haven't tracked to know for sure. I would prefer to stick to one type for all my buns for convenience, but would consider two types if it would really be much better for bun health/growing kits.

Any recommendations or advice?

If you aren't as concerned about price, then I'd feed the show quality feed (17%). Non-breeding does and bucks don't have to be fed free choice, which can save a lot of feed. Generally 2 oz's per lb. of rabbit. Make sure you introduce the new feed mixed with old feed for a period of 1-2 weeks if possible. Gradual is always better. I imagine with the kits, feed is going fast. You might want to start the mixed feed a week or two after your pregnant doe kindles. Might make a difference, might not. I know the rabbits prefer consistency especially during that time.

Whenever I give advice about husbandry I always give the caveat of making the process as easy and enjoyable for you as well!

so i recently bred two single mane lionheads together. and i was wondering can double manes come out of a single mane pairing, like long haired and shorthaired dogs can come out of the same litter even if both parents are one or the other.

Okay awesome! Today is my first does due date. When can I start handling them? I didn't know if it would upset the mom too much or something.

I've only had one litter so far, but I started handling day 1. I set up an extra chick brooder heat lamp on the workbench next to my cage so they would not chill--I had a towel lined box to move. I didn't get any screamers, and they all allowed without issue--mama too. The first few days I checked a couple times a day making sure all were being fed. I will mention that they seem to have baby nervous system jerks to watch for.

so i recently bred two single mane lionheads together. and i was wondering can double manes come out of a single mane pairing, like long haired and shorthaired dogs can come out of the same litter even if both parents are one or the other.
Yes, you can get some DM offspring if you are breeding two SM's; you can get single manes and no manes, too. (The odds are 1:2:1, but in a sample group as small as one litter or even all of the offspring a single pair can produce in their lifetime, those ratios are pretty much meaningless). You can spot the DM's within a few days of birth; there will be a triangular patch of longer hair in the middle of the back, when their sides are still pretty much bare:

Yes, you can get some DM offspring if you are breeding two SM's; you can get single manes and no manes, too. (The odds are 1:2:1, but in a sample group as small as one litter or even all of the offspring a single pair can produce in their lifetime, those ratios are pretty much meaningless). You can spot the DM's within a few days of birth; there will be a triangular patch of longer hair in the middle of the back, when their sides are still pretty much bare:
awesome. these are my rabbits. Clover and Farkle. Clover is the tortoiseshell, the doe. Farkle is the red, the buck.

It depends on the mother. I've been able to handle all of my does' kits even just an hour or so after birth to count the kits and remove any dead kits/soiled litter. If your does seem too nervous, though, I would wait a day or so before taking the nest box out to look at the kits. Assuming they've been raised around humans, rabbits don't mind human scent on their kits.

Good luck with your doe! Hopefully she kindles a nice litter for you.

Quote: In rabbits, Clover's color is called (Japanese) Harlequin
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom