Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Cage size depends on rabbit size. Florida Whites can be in a smaller cage than Flemish Giants. That being said, the rabbit should be able to take a couple hops from end to end and stand up on it's hinds in the cage. Your breeders should have out of cage time if possible. You can give rabbits ping pong balls, timothy mats, pinecones to play with in their cages. Whatever kind of cage you use, make sure it's easy to clean.

Some breeders rebreed at 4 weeks after kindling. I avoid the hottest and coldest months of the year so max breeds per doe is 3 for me.

A good rabbit pellet is the easiest feed. Many are going with fodder these days and I'm definitely going to try it. Timothy hay is a favourite treat for my guys. If you aren't using a pellet, make sure you account for vitamins and minerals with a supplement.

If you are on Facebook, I suggest the backyard meat rabbit page. Good people who care about their animals and very helpful.

Thinking about getting meat rabbits, and I'm trying to gather some information. I have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys might be able to answer.

What is the bare minimum of space required per rabbit? What is the animal-friendly recommended amount?

What is the best diet for meat rabbit?

How long should a doe have between pregnancies?

What's a good way to prevent boredom?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to start. I'd like to do all of it humanely as possible, as I do with all of my animals. I will be keeping them on wire, but I'm going to install some resting spaces for them. Many people recommend feeding greens, while others swear by pellets. Many say hays or grasses, but very little alfalfa or none at all, oat grass is sworn by. It'd be nice to know some things because I can grown fodder and am going to start for my chickens, would be nice to know what'd work for rabbits too.

I've never raised meat rabbits but I'll try to help...

The space depends on the breed you want to raise.

I dont know exactly what the best diet would be

I bred my Holland Lop doe right after I weaned my baby off of her

Toys, woods to chew on, places to hop up on, giving it walks, playing with them multiple times a day.

Of the foods you listed... greens occasionally, however it is my opinion, that these are domestic rabbits, not wild rabbits, and I have found that feeding my rabbits that know nothing better than living cooped up in a hutch, get an upset stomach when eating to many greens. I feed Southern States pellets, make sure it has at least 16% (or 18% I can't remember) protein or their fur will get nasty looking along with other problems. Timothy hay is the only hay I've ever used. They love it. I think it smells like sweet tea! About alfalfa, the only time you need to feed it to them is for pregnant or lactating does. I've never used oat grass, but when my rabbits need more protein or need a treat I sprinkle a half cup of Quaker oats with their food.

Good luck with your rabbits!!!

Thank you guys for all your help so far! I'll be sure to put in some toys/items to keep them busy and make sure they have a mineral lick if I feed mostly greens or hay. I've read does eat their kits if they don't have enough minerals, but I'd like to save them for US to eat! LOL.

The guy I'm talking to right now and considering buying from has NZ/Flemish crosses. I really wanted to raise D'argents, but I can't find a reasonably priced breeding pair for my budget. I'd like to be able to tan the pelts and use them or sell them, which is why I was considering D'argents, but I've read NZ is the most beginner friendly. Sable caught my interest but I've not seen too many of them for sale.

Does anyone have a favorite meat/pelt breed?

Hello everyone. I'm very worried about my netherland dwarf buck. He's just over 2 and I received him at the end of March. About 1-2 weeks after I got him he began to salivate excessively. Being new to rabbits, that warranted a trip to the vet! Apparently it's an issue with his molars? He has an appointment for a dental next week but I noticed today he isn't eating his pellets. I force fed him some critical care food from the vet but any advise would be wonderful. He is currently on antibiotics, pain medication and probiotics ( all
form the vet). Maybe I should see about getting him in sooner? Thanks for any advice!

I'd try to get him in sooner. Has he had anything to "grind" down his teeth. Rabbits need foliage to keep their teeth from growing too long.

Last edited:
Hay is offered free choice from a hay rack. I also put some in his litter and were he hangs in the cage the most. He's also offered fresh greens nightly but I've never seen him eat anything but pellets. Today he didn't touch his pellets again but when offered the critical care food in syringe he sucked it right down. I think he's hungry, just its to painful to chew? Would it be rude to contact the rabbitry he is from to ask if this has been an ongoing issue? I don't want to offend anyone. Regardless he's a pet at this point and will be treated accordingly

Back
Top Bottom