Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Personally, I'd ask, but I've got an abrasive personality and offending people doesn't bother me as much as it should. It would be a good thing for you to know if it is a reoccurring issue, especially if you planned on buying more rabbits. I'd keep feeding the critical care food until the issue is solved, which is hopefully very soon. I'm new to rabbits, but a veteran when it comes to pets in general. Just make sure he eats and drinks, and his health doesn't deteriorate.

Thanks. Originally I had played with the idea of showing and breeding but this whole situation has kind of turned me off to the whole thing. I'm assuming this dental issue could be hereditary so I've asked for the vet to neuter him while he's under anesthesia. I feel that's the responsible thing to do. By the way before bed I offered the critical care food in a shallow saucer and he licked it right up! So at least he wants to eat something.

Thank you guys for all your help so far! I'll be sure to put in some toys/items to keep them busy and make sure they have a mineral lick if I feed mostly greens or hay. I've read does eat their kits if they don't have enough minerals, but I'd like to save them for US to eat! LOL.

The guy I'm talking to right now and considering buying from has NZ/Flemish crosses. I really wanted to raise D'argents, but I can't find a reasonably priced breeding pair for my budget. I'd like to be able to tan the pelts and use them or sell them, which is why I was considering D'argents, but I've read NZ is the most beginner friendly. Sable caught my interest but I've not seen too many of them for sale.

Does anyone have a favorite meat/pelt breed?
I use tin cans They love it will not chew them They just toss them around . I cut the bottoms and tops of the big cans for tunnels .Once again they just play with the an make a lot of noise I have 20 cages of large meat rabbits .
I you are raising meat rabbits Give them bread to fatten them up just a little bit at a time don't make them to fat they will not reproduce if to fat. Give it to them as a treat not a food replacement.
They say martin are raised for pelts I raise Flemish d argents and Californians California's and New Zealand's has the meat rabbit piggy shape Flemish grows out longer with a big head All of these breeds are good for both . I play around and mix them up and I get nice sized rabbits this way .
I usually get about 10 - 12 lbs. of rabbits when I dress them out (BUTCHER) them
Here is my doe

my rabbit is bored and wont let me pet it. It will come and greet me but when I try to pet it will run away. :( Any suggestions how to make him more friendly?

Take it out of the cage and show no fear. Put it on your lap and rub its neck and head like a cat. Feed it a treat while doing this It might change it's mind about you .If you show fear it will sense that. Just keep it's claws under control while doing this rabbits are scratchers they can rip you good with them. worst than a mean cat. so be careful .
As for biting I never had a rabbit bite me and I have lots of rabbits so I can't remark on that behavior. mine don't bite not yet any ways,

I'd like to know exactly what injuries I should look out for while I'm handling my rabbits by the scruff and by the ears. I know it's not nice, but these rabbits will tear you apart if not handled this way. I support their rumps so they don't dangle. I'm going to continue handling them this way so please don't give me some PETA speech. I want to know what injuries to look for so I can watch out for them. I know they're possible. These are small 3 pound rabbits but they are the most vile and violent animals I've ever had to deal with. I attempted to be nice with them and got ripped up. They don't get "nice" anymore. I can't wait to eat them. Until then, what do I look for?
Pulling on rabbits ears will cause the ears to lop
hold the scruff of the neck and hold their feet together and put it close to your body as long as the rabbit feels like he is not falling he may calm down
I hope this works ,sounds like you have a handful with yours.

Help guys,
What breed of rabbit do you think I have? Thanks.

I'm getting a rabbit next week and am so excited! I had a rabbit last year, but it attacked me and ran away.
1f610.png
I'm hoping to get an English spot, or lop eared, but will pretty much take anything. Lol.

I'm planning on making it an indoor/outdoor rabbit. It will sleep outside, but when I come home from work, I'll bring it in for socialization. Sound like a good idea?

If I was to breed my flemish giant male o something, what breed would be the best option (for meat). A newzealand? And how would the feed to weight ratio be? (Will I lose money?) he's 9 months old.

If I was to breed my flemish giant male o something, what breed would be the best option (for meat). A newzealand? And how would the feed to weight ratio be? (Will I lose money?) he's 9 months old.
I'm not sure why you asked this particular question. You will spend money on feed, we all do (except for those who have worked out a way to pasture them). Giant breeds grow fast, but they are not as good as the commercial breeds when it comes to meat-to-bone ratios. When you get down to it, you can eat any breed of rabbit (I once knew a guy that bred and showed Netherland Dwarfs, that ate his culls) but exactly how much meat there is on the carcass can vary quite a bit. If you are just trying to put meat on the table, even a mutt rabbit can give you something to eat, though you may have to wait a bit longer for the fryers to get large enough to make it worth while. Lots of people use Flemish Giants in a meat breeding program; the Flemish is one of the foundation breeds of the Altex.

If you are intending to sell the offspring, well, that will depend on your market. The buyers for the slaughter houses prefer New Zealands and Californians, and are usually savvy enough to spot the larger bone structure of a Flemish cross. But if you are figuring on selling to your neighbors, they probably won't be as discriminating, and as long as they are happy, the parentage of the rabbits you are selling won't matter that much.

Back
Top Bottom