Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
I have a question. Cinco has a large bump on her neck swollen. I believe it to be an abscess . If I take a hot needle let it cool. Have alcohol . And try to puncher it. How do I cultur it for cancer or tumor. Or our we better at vet care. To remove it. How do I treat her at home at all possible. I know you need to squaze the puss out. She has a lot of hair in the way. The bump is small itself. That I can feel. But it's very puffy taking up most of neck. I know my dogs had something similar .

I have a question. Cinco has a large bump on her neck swollen. I believe it to be an abscess . If I take a hot needle let it cool. Have alcohol . And try to puncher it. How do I cultur it for cancer or tumor. Or our we better at vet care. To remove it. How do I treat her at home at all possible. I know you need to squaze the puss out. She has a lot of hair in the way. The bump is small itself. That I can feel. But it's very puffy taking up most of neck. I know my dogs had something similar .
Take her to the vet. This is not something you can treat at home.

Take her to a vet. An abscess that isn't treated properly can keep coming back and spreading. A swelling like that could even be a parasitic fly larva, which could kill her if not removed correctly.

I got my rabbits! Quite a colorful trio!
Sprinkles, the Holland Lop

SpitFire, Black American Tan

Delilah, Chocolate Mini Rex

How very odd . . . ..in over 30 years of keeping rabbits, and of the hundreds of animals I have owned, I have only taken a rabbit to see a vet twice. I wonder why my animals seem to be so much healthier?:confused:

Yes, a person should do their research, but there is an awful lot of nonsense on the internet. Before they follow any advice, a person should make sure that the information comes from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.:rolleyes:

A lot of people will tell you that rabbits are social by nature, but they also tell you about this elaborate process that you have to go through to get the rabbits to "bond" to each other. My question is, if they are naturally social, why do you have to go through such an intricate song and dance which may take weeks or even months to get them to tolerate each other? To me, the answer seems pretty simple - they aren't naturally social, they are naturally antisocial, and you have to overcome that natural tendency to get them to live peaceably together. Research on the behavior of their wild ancestors seems to bear that out. Even the House Rabbit Society, for whom the idea of rabbits in cages is anathema, will tell you that there are some rabbits that just cannot get along with other rabbits. Rather than assume that these rabbits are in some way warped or damaged, it seems to me that their behavior is much more like that of the rabbit in nature, and it's these "bonded" rabbits that are actually abnormal. Baby rabbits instinctively huddle together; if they didn't, they would die. As rabbits reach adolescence, the need for their own territory asserts itself, and they begin picking on each other and even fighting. Some naturally more passive rabbits may never get to that point. We, as breeders, may artificially select for a more docile temperament in the interest of making people-friendly pets, but that doesn't change the essential nature of a rabbit, and you can't assume that all rabbits are going to continue to behave like babies as they become adults.
I agree 100%
I also have found keeping rabbits very enjoyable and it has been a learning experience. I built my hutch month's before I got my rabbits, including a gravity fed watering system to make it easier for me and for my rabbits to have consistently cool fresh water. I made sure I had cages for all the new kit's before I bread my does. I give treat s. And even keep some birds in there hutch to keep the poop spread out I use straw in the hutch. I treat for ear mites with baby oil every month even though they have never gotten mites. Crazy isn't it. How it can all be seen in different ways.

watering nipples cost about 1.00

this is the nursery pens in the shed for when I have kits in the winter.
this is the hutch when I started.

this is now looking from the chickens coop. Which I tilled and planted sunflower seeds and grass seed, my chickens are 4 week's old so there not big enough to transfer yet.

Back
Top Bottom