Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
I had rabbits as a child and recently bought two for my daughter. I have kept them previously inside and litter trained or outside in a large hutch. Inside is not a permanent solution here, and where I live gets extremely hot in the summer. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with digging a secure burrow in a run. I'm contemplating trying it. Looking for input.

I just got my first two does. They were born February 1st and they are already huge! :) The girls are Flemish giant new Zealand crosses. One is grey and the other is black with silver. I was thinking of getting a red or broken red new Zealand buck for them in July. Also, I am ggoing to keep these girls together in a colony as they were colony raised. I am building a 4x10 run for them and their house is 4x2. Is it fine to keep the buck in with them once I get them, or should I build him a house of his own? Thank you so much :)

A buck needs to be housed separately, and only put into the colony when you want kits. Otherwise, he will most likely breed the does immediately after they kindle, and they will wind up having back-to-back litters every month until they get into such poor condition that their bodies simply can't support a pregnancy - not a happy place to go. Does don't understand about "spacing" litters; if a doe housed with a buck isn't cranking out a litter every 31 days or so, it's because of a physiological "can't" rather than a psychological "shouldn't."

A buck needs to be housed separately, and only put into the colony when you want kits. Otherwise, he will most likely breed the does immediately after they kindle, and they will wind up having back-to-back litters every month until they get into such poor condition that their bodies simply can't support a pregnancy - not a happy place to go. Does don't understand about "spacing" litters; if a doe housed with a buck isn't cranking out a litter every 31 days or so, it's because of a physiological "can't" rather than a psychological "shouldn't."

Thank you so much. :)

i got them for pets and for showing in 4-h. they are all so cute! the only thing that is not good for showing is that my dwarf hotot has to much black on him, like he has some on his ears, and a few little spots. one on his back, tail, and right next to his nose. but they are really sweet! iv'e had lots a rabbits before but i have never had a dwarf hotot, they are my 2nd favorite breed! ( my 1st is a tan)

i got them for pets and for showing in 4-h. they are all so cute! the only thing that is not good for showing is that my dwarf hotot has to much black on him, like he has some on his ears, and a few little spots. one on his back, tail, and right next to his nose. but they are really sweet! iv'e had lots a rabbits before but i have never had a dwarf hotot, they are my 2nd favorite breed! ( my 1st is a tan)
Dwarf Hotot's are very adorable!! My cousin has two tans. I actually attended the Tan nationals in Greensboro, NC this year. It was awesome!!

Thinking about getting meat rabbits, and I'm trying to gather some information. I have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys might be able to answer.

What is the bare minimum of space required per rabbit? What is the animal-friendly recommended amount?

What is the best diet for meat rabbit?

How long should a doe have between pregnancies?

What's a good way to prevent boredom?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to start. I'd like to do all of it humanely as possible, as I do with all of my animals. I will be keeping them on wire, but I'm going to install some resting spaces for them. Many people recommend feeding greens, while others swear by pellets. Many say hays or grasses, but very little alfalfa or none at all, oat grass is sworn by. It'd be nice to know some things because I can grown fodder and am going to start for my chickens, would be nice to know what'd work for rabbits too.

I have a rabbit myself, but it's just a pet, we're not going to use it for meat. I would be happy to answer your questions though!
1f60a.png

My rabbit's cage is about 3x3, but it has 2 levels, 3x3 on top as well. I only have one rabbit, so this amount of space is fine for him. The amount of space needed would probably depend on just how many you're planning on getting.

Like I said, my rabbit isn't used for meat, so I'm not sure what you would feed one that is, but I naturally feed my rabbit pellets. I also give him handfuls of clover everyday, and the occasional kitchen scrap here and there (cabbage, for example). (I have a very fat rabbit
1f430.png
)

My rabbit is a boy, so I can't answer the one about the pregnancies, sorry.

One good way to prevent boredom for my rabbit is to be pet. I realize you can't sit and pet your rabbit all day, so you may want to consider a new hobby for him.
1f606.png
Mine has taken on the hobby of eating, like I said... he is HUGE!

Here are a few helpful links to check out for more tips:
http://homestead.org/ReginaAnneler/Rabbits/PuttingFoodontheTable.htm
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/breeding-rabbits-zmaz70mazglo.aspx
http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/rrrpt1.htm

Best of luck to you!
1f601.png
1f430.png
1f407.png

Back
Top Bottom