Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
@moomoodiddy

If this was directed to my query about the baby chicks, I'm in Denver burbs. Tomorrow will be near 70, but I'm unsure about next week.

What I'm actually hoping is that if they arrive during the day, and I may try to swing by the school on the way home from the post office pick-up. My thought is that the short delay wouldn't be too much on top of the shipping, then I could get them home and under the heat and acclimated to their brooder. Obviously if weather was terrible, then that would affect the situation.

@moomoodiddy

If this was directed to my query about the baby chicks, I'm in Denver burbs. Tomorrow will be near 70, but I'm unsure about next week.

What I'm actually hoping is that if they arrive during the day, and I may try to swing by the school on the way home from the post office pick-up. My thought is that the short delay wouldn't be too much on top of the shipping, then I could get them home and under the heat and acclimated to their brooder. Obviously if weather was terrible, then that would affect the situation.

I would give them water and heat as soon as possible and make sure to check the box before you open it at school. I would hate for there to be a casualtie in there and the surprise reveal be a nightmare.

what is a doe's average breeding span?

I hope some others chime in! I think it is largely contingent on how often you breed, as well as other environmental factors... In general NZW are bred to be exceptionally fertile and probably have a significant amount of eggs. I generally breed no more then 4-5 times a year. I'd be curious what are some peoples oldest breeders.

Most rabbit does begin to show a drop in fertility sometime between age 2 and 3, and are often basically sterile by the time they are 4 years old - if they even live that long. Some of it may depend on breed and bloodline, but there seems to be a tendency for does to develop cancer in their reproductive organs; obviously, that would impact their fertility long before it would kill them. The oldest viable doe that I have had was still having babies at 6 years old, but she was giving birth to a significant number of "fails" as well as the live ones at that time.

Last edited:
I have questions about rabbit pellets. Restating background info--I have silver fox rabbits; one buck and two does (currently one is due late next week, and one w 6wk kits). In addition to their pellets, they get timothy hay and occasional treats like carrots, celery, apples, spring mix...The buck and non-lactating doe get a cup of pellets daily, with the kits/mama free choice pellets.

I have been getting my pellets from the same semi-local mill that makes the 20% protein layer feed that I like for my chooks. Recently, when reordering I found that the mill has been bought and no longer will carry the pellets I had been getting, only carrying a premium show pellet. So, I have to switch kinds now, and did pick up a bag of the new kind to try. The price on the new show feed is fine and seems comparable, so I could just stick with it. I like getting feed from the small local feed company, and like that both the chicken and bunny feeds are usually manufactured about a month before I purchase, even with the ownership switch. I also have another type right now that I had to pick up from my local Murdoch's due to running out. But, the pellet size is larger and doesn't work as well in my feeders, so I won't continue it past this bag. But this all brings up some questions.

My previous ration and the new ration are both 17% protein (Hubbard ShowRite). Now, I've learned that that is a bit higher than adult buns need, but ok for my mamas/kits. If I choose to switch to getting pellets at Murdoch's, I could also get a Nutrena 15% type or a Purina 16% type. The Purina one has a higher fiber content, but otherwise the other nutritional values on all three are similar. They also carry a Purina 20% protein with 9% fiber, or 9% protein w 3% fiber. Thing is with Murdoch's, the ages on the bags are generally older, but I haven't tracked to know for sure. I would prefer to stick to one type for all my buns for convenience, but would consider two types if it would really be much better for bun health/growing kits.

Any recommendations or advice?

Hello everybunny! Is there anyone in the group who shows rabbits? I really want to start showing my silver foxes. I acquired a proven herd of senior show does and I want to show their babies. I've never shown a rabbit or even been to a rabbit show. I planned on breeding for meet, but figured I may as well have some more fun with them since I have them.

Back
Top Bottom