Rabies

Firework

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Minneeesooodaaa
Just wondering, if a animal with rabies breed with another animal without rabies would the babies have rabies? Any one out there know?
idunno.gif

I would think that the animal that didn't have rabies to begin with would catch rabies from the breeding, and die before the babies even developed.

Rabies is transmitted through bodily fluid. "IF" a rabid animal were to breed with a non-rabid animal, the non-rabid animal would contract rabies. AND "if" the "now" rabid animal had babies, then the babies would be rabid as well.

That's an interesting question. I wonder if a rabid animal bred an animal vaccinated against rabies if the mothers resistance would be strong enough to pass onto her babies? I imagine the mother should be revaccinated to "be safe". If I remember right even if an animal has been vaccinated that it's reccommended that if they do come in contact with rabies that they be revaccinated.

Quote:
I would imagine that the babies would be okay. A good quarantine would be in order "if" this were to ever be the case. Because if I remember correctly, vaccines work by introducing a dead strain of the virus into the system, allowing the patients body to build up antibodies without ever actually being in danger of a live infection. So basically if all goes as planned a virus should be destroyed by the vaccinated animals antibodies, therefore I believe the pups wouldn't be in danger. Like I mentioned before, "if" this were to ever happen, all animals need quarantining to be safe.

-Kim

How rabies works is it is transmitted threw the saliva of a infected animal, that is the only way to get rabies is to have any infected animal bite you. And a rabid animal would have in interest in breeding because rabies attacks the nervous system making the animal confused and angry which makes it want to attack any other moving creature in its path. Learned this is Virology class.

Quote:
If you had any cuts and a rabid animal licked it, you would also get it. Learned this when visiting places like Greece and Turkey where rabies seriously affects the stray population. Many a time have I had to remind myself not to touch the ragged kittens in the gutter because of this...
It's a horrible way for animals to die, I think it involves an averison from water so they die of dehydration...
sad.png

Anyone know if I'm right?

And wouldn't the monther of said offspring transmit it to her young, not only through genetics, but also thru saliva? If one babe had a scrape, etc and the mum licked it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom