Rabies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Firework, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Just wondering, if a animal with rabies breed with another animal without rabies would the babies have rabies? Any one out there know? [​IMG]

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I would think that the animal that didn't have rabies to begin with would catch rabies from the breeding, and die before the babies even developed.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Do you think that you have a rabid animal and that it bred? I'm confused..

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Generally animals that have rabies are not interested in breeding...

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Rabies is transmitted through bodily fluid. "IF" a rabid animal were to breed with a non-rabid animal, the non-rabid animal would contract rabies. AND "if" the "now" rabid animal had babies, then the babies would be rabid as well.

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    That's an interesting question. I wonder if a rabid animal bred an animal vaccinated against rabies if the mothers resistance would be strong enough to pass onto her babies? I imagine the mother should be revaccinated to "be safe". If I remember right even if an animal has been vaccinated that it's reccommended that if they do come in contact with rabies that they be revaccinated.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I would imagine that the babies would be okay. A good quarantine would be in order "if" this were to ever be the case. Because if I remember correctly, vaccines work by introducing a dead strain of the virus into the system, allowing the patients body to build up antibodies without ever actually being in danger of a live infection. So basically if all goes as planned a virus should be destroyed by the vaccinated animals antibodies, therefore I believe the pups wouldn't be in danger. Like I mentioned before, "if" this were to ever happen, all animals need quarantining to be safe.

-Kim

8. Rising_Phoenix

Rising_Phoenix Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Eastern Ks
    How rabies works is it is transmitted threw the saliva of a infected animal, that is the only way to get rabies is to have any infected animal bite you. And a rabid animal would have in interest in breeding because rabies attacks the nervous system making the animal confused and angry which makes it want to attack any other moving creature in its path. Learned this is Virology class.

9. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:If you had any cuts and a rabid animal licked it, you would also get it. Learned this when visiting places like Greece and Turkey where rabies seriously affects the stray population. Many a time have I had to remind myself not to touch the ragged kittens in the gutter because of this...
    It's a horrible way for animals to die, I think it involves an averison from water so they die of dehydration... [​IMG]
    Anyone know if I'm right?

And wouldn't the monther of said offspring transmit it to her young, not only through genetics, but also thru saliva? If one babe had a scrape, etc and the mum licked it...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, that's why it was called "Hydrophobia" and "hydrophobe" in Old Yeller! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by