raccoon attack hens beak chewed off.

Pics

zinia8

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Reels Corner, PA.
had a raccoon try to pull a hen through the fence, thought she was dead but she is not. Dam raccoon chewed her beak off. I think she has puncture wounds in the top of her mouth into her sinus, she still has her tongue. Should I try to save her or cull and put her out of her misery. I am sick to my stomach and so upset. I wiped some of the blood off and put her in a box in a dark room. I lost one to what I thought was a cat but apparently it is the raccoon. I closed all the windows on the coop they do have hardware cloth on them but I am not taking any chances pop door is locked and trap is set. I will have great pleasure in taking care of this raccoon.
20180614_220159.jpg
20180614_220928.jpg

Yes, the merciful thing to do would be to cull her ASAP. Then, if I was in your yard, I'd be looking to kill the coon, and the rest of his cousins. An other first priority is to make sure that the run/coop are predator proof, either with electric fencing around the run, or putting up hardware cloth.

Last edited:
Exactly what do you have covering your coop windows? 1/2" hdw. cloth, or something else? So sorry.
yes 1/2 hardware cloth on the windows. pulled her through the run fence which is just 2x4? horse/cattle fence. Closed the coop tight for the night. set the trap and guess what not 3 hours later.
20180614_230144.jpg

Lazy Gardener you use electric netting from premier?
I have regular glass window panes with hardware cloth on the inside with it attached to the frames then sandwiched with a nailed down wooden batten. does that make sense. my brain doesn't want to work right now.

So sorry. :hugsI would put her down. I'm sure she has had an amazing life... I would not want her to suffer any more.
I also have been blasting those suckers. They killed my pair of pheasants worth $600. They were so sweet and cool. :hit
We have killed 8 in the past 5 days. Along with some opossums.

Back
Top Bottom