Raccoon Attack Last Night

KernH

Songster
8 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Newman, Ca.
Went to bed about 10:30 and at about 11:30 heard the neighbor's dog from behind me barking like crazy. Ran outside with my .177 pellet rifle and saw one raccoon go ever my fence and up my next door neighbor's large pine tree. I have nice neighbors, so I called them and asked if I could come over and try and get rid of the pest. He said sure. Well, it turns out there were four raccoons and they were way too high with too much cover for me to do anything with my small .177 pellet rifle. Now I live in town so as much as I wanted to go and get my .22 that wasn't an option. So I did what no one else would do and sat down under the tree to wait them out. Now it only got to about 57 degrees here last night but I got really cold. The raccoons never came down and at 5:25 this morning my neighbor's sprinklers came on and ran me off, so I came in and took a hot shower and went to work. I plan on going home later this morning and seeing what I can do. I am very worried those darn raccoons will kill my cute little chicks. I have several traps that will be set tonight, but as tired as I am from no sleep last night, I will be alert again tonight.

Went to bed about 10:30 and at about 11:30 heard the neighbor's dog from behind me barking like crazy. Ran outside with my .177 pellet rifle and saw one raccoon go ever my fence and up my next door neighbor's large pine tree. I have nice neighbors, so I called them and asked if I could come over and try and get rid of the pest. He said sure. Well, it turns out there were four raccoons and they were way too high with too much cover for me to do anything with my small .177 pellet rifle. Now I live in town so as much as I wanted to go and get my .22 that wasn't an option. So I did what no one else would do and sat down under the tree to wait them out. Now it only got to about 57 degrees here last night but I got really cold. The raccoons never came down and at 5:25 this morning my neighbor's sprinklers came on and ran me off, so I came in and took a hot shower and went to work. I plan on going home later this morning and seeing what I can do. I am very worried those darn raccoons will kill my cute little chicks. I have several traps that will be set tonight, but as tired as I am from no sleep last night, I will be alert again tonight.

Is your coop and run built securely? If so, the worry is less than if not - so in addition to ridding yourself of *these* raccoons take a second (or third) look at your set up because, unfortunately for every one you see there are likely ten that you don't, so the best defense against flock loss is a secure coop and run that will send the next one looking elsewhere for a meal that is easier to get at.

ETA - I am glad to see that your birds are okay - reading the word "attack" in the title made it seem like there had been an actual interaction between bird and beast.

Last edited:
I agree - even if you dispatch these coons, your birds will always be at risk from more predators without a secure coop and run. Lock them up until you can provide these, and I promise you will sleep much better at night.

Went home a short time ago and could still spot a couple in the very top of the tree. Called my neighbor and asked if I could go back in their yard and they said yes. Took my 30 year old pellet rifle that only shoots maybe 800 feet per second and started trying to shoot through the branches and pine needles. Wasn't having much luck until my other neighbor across my back fence hollers at me and hands me his really nice beautiful pellet rifle that shoots 1200 feet per second. That did the work and I got three of them. I think there may be one more up in the tree somewhere, but I couldn't see it and I had to get back to work. My chicken house is very secure and my chicken yard is pretty pest proof also, but the yard is made of 1" chicken wire and I have read that raccoons can brake through that. That is way I was worried. In the past 10 years before I again got chickens, I have killed about 25 raccoons in my yard. They really do a lot of damage. I have many (150) kinds of fruit in my yard and I think the raccoons are drawn there because of the food source. Many multi-grafted trees. At least these three won't get the chicks. Kern

2 things:
1) "Dog Proof" Coon traps - look 'em up on Youtube
2) Add 2x4 welded wire over the poultry netting. TSC sells a 100' roll, 4 ft high for about $70. Run that around the pen. They might climb up past it and try to get in, but you just made life a whole lot tougher for them. 1/2 HW cloth is even better, but about twice the costs, even ordered online from walmart.com.

I would suggest the hardware cloth, as coons can reach through both chicken wire and welded wire, grab a chicken and pull it to the fence, then eat their heads off. Gross but true - I have seen it. Amazingly enough the chickens are dumb enough to approach the fence. As you have already seen, killing the coons does not reduce the risk to your birds, as there are ALWAYS more.

I agree - even if you dispatch these coons, your birds will always be at risk from more predators without a secure coop and run. Lock them up until you can provide these, and I promise you will sleep much better at night.

Not to mention the fact that killing raccoons is regulated by Fish and Wildlife and is illegal in his location at this time of year.

Yes I know there is a season on raccoons, but when they are attacking my "livestock" or "pets", I think I have the right to protect that livestock or those pets. Kern

Not to mention the fact that killing raccoons is regulated by Fish and Wildlife and is illegal in his location at this time of year.

From a quick google search, I don't think this is correct. Racoons are considered fur bearing, and trapping is regulated, but there's an exemption for raccoons that are causing damage to livestock or homes. It does say specifically that you can't relocate a raccoon without the written permission of the California department of fish and wildlife.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74116.html

Back
Top Bottom