Raccoon attack

Chelie97

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
Hello so on Thanksgiving morning about 3 am my family woke up to sounds we have never heard our chicken make before we ran out to discover a raccoon in the coop. We managed to get all the hens out I went inside with the raccoon and started shoving them out the door telling my teens to put them in the garage. The raccoon ment business and was not happy with me. We assessed our hens and only one was injured pulled out lots of feathers from her tail and a bit on tail along with a nice chunk out of stomach. I have fixed up my coop more putting more boards around the hard wire cloth and added more hardwire cloth. My question is if I keep shooting them with husband pant ball gun( paint ball are made of vegetable oil and food coloring) The last couple of nights ( 4 raccoons I am trying to keep at bay.) I have had chickens for over 4 years never had and issue before and nothing in my area has changed so any suggestions to help are appreciated i am hoping if I keep on them they will just give up. I also have lights around coop but they dont seem to do anything but keep opossum away.

The paintball approach would only be a temporary fix. Even if it scares them off initially, they will be back.
Do you think the modifications you've made for pen security are enough? That's going to be where you want to focus: predator proof coop.
Do you have pictures you want to share? Maybe we can give you ideas on how to fortify it better.
I have hardwire cloth with chicken wire sandwiched in between boards I used fenced boards around it screws not nails the raccoon pulled off a smaller board I had nailed on so I put a bigger board on and put screws in instead on all boards I also added more boards then previously I had I also changed my latches on all doors. I live in southern Cali so my hens liked to sleep in the part with hardwire cloth and only sleep inside when its really raining or windy. I have had them sleeping in my garage since the incident so having 14 chickens in bigger totes in garage is not ideal but until I feel safe thats where I transfer them after ots completely dark

Attachments

• 297D3D99-F4AE-4039-8EC0-B8B253F0BB10.jpeg
    297D3D99-F4AE-4039-8EC0-B8B253F0BB10.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 25
  • ED82E679-CEC3-4DDB-9B99-B085835EF4BA.jpeg
    ED82E679-CEC3-4DDB-9B99-B085835EF4BA.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 21
  • 737F36FB-FE8C-450B-B2E6-EF322E9F7947.jpeg
    737F36FB-FE8C-450B-B2E6-EF322E9F7947.jpeg
    970.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3D416FCD-E895-4EEB-96AC-C5824217ED1C.jpeg
    3D416FCD-E895-4EEB-96AC-C5824217ED1C.jpeg
    928.3 KB · Views: 21
  • D6E9072C-C356-47FD-82B1-83D00D9131F6.jpeg
    D6E9072C-C356-47FD-82B1-83D00D9131F6.jpeg
    734.1 KB · Views: 22
  • F48378DD-545F-4900-851A-4DCEA3F81223.jpeg
    F48378DD-545F-4900-851A-4DCEA3F81223.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 20
I have hardwire cloth with chicken wire sandwiched in between boards I used fenced boards around it screws not nails the raccoon pulled off a smaller board I had nailed on so I put a bigger board on and put screws in instead on all boards I also added more boards then previously I had I also changed my latches on all doors. I live in southern Cali so my hens liked to sleep in the part with hardwire cloth and only sleep inside when its really raining or windy. I have had them sleeping in my garage since the incident so having 14 chickens in bigger totes in garage is not ideal but until I feel safe thats where I transfer them after ots completely dark
I would be very concerned about the chicken wire over the door being stretched and them gaining entry and the metal nest box lid being removed.Does it have a secure lock on it? Raccoons can open simple latches. Having a family of raccoons attacking your coop it nerve wracking but if you act quickly they'll not be able to breach the coop .They may try to dig under a coop to get in .I hope you have an apron around it!

I also noticed you only have one hasp on the top of the door. Raccoons can open the 2 lower ones(the 2 black ones)I would add a 2nd hasp on the lower part of the door if I were you as they are very smart and strong.

I have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has messed with the hot wires. They will keep coming back. Can you trap them? Most places have a wildlife rescue that will take the pests. Good luck...

The paintball approach would only be a temporary fix. Even if it scares them off initially, they will be back.
Do you think the modifications you've made for pen security are enough? That's going to be where you want to focus: predator proof coop.
Do you have pictures you want to share? Maybe we can give you ideas on how to fortify it better.

All the latches are not the simple ones and have a form of lock on them also we did fix the chicken wire on door with hardwire cloth and its tighter also it is placed on cement

I have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has messed with the hot wires. They will keep coming back. Can you trap them? Most places have a wildlife rescue that will take the pests. Good luck...
Do you have pictures of the electric wire and how you placed it. My wildlife rescue wont take them because I live in a farming community I have an avocado grove behind my house two doors down is a orange grove. I new wild animals came with my area I have had raccoons in my garden for years just first tome messing with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom