Raccoon IN my coop

Wondering how much of a threat they are to grown chickens. I have rhode island reds, a barred rock and a colombian wyhotte. They are all hens, no roosters. Will the coons kill or harm them? They were all so calm when I found them last night. I hate to kill the coons, but the needs of my chickens comes first.
I fixed the door where they were squeezing in, but even though I lock them in at night, I'm afraid they'll find another way in. Please advise!
A chicken is a easy meal for a coon. Shoot it takes one good [or lucky] dog to kill a smart coon.
wink.png

Chris

You are all right. The coons came back again last night and were able to break into the coop even though I thought I fixed the door. The drank all the water and ate the feed in the feeder. Thankfully they didn't harm the chickens - this time. I don't want to take anymore chances.

I don't have a shot gun. How else can I get rid of these pests?

Live trap with wet cat food is pretty reliable. Or you can just set out a bowl with Golden Malrin fly bait and coke cola. Works every time, they don't make it 10 ft away. That poison is serious stuff, so make sure that nothing BUT the coon can get it. Lock up your pets (if you have any) they will help themselves too.

I assume that poison kills quickly? I would hate for them to suffer. Wondering if I should invest in a gun. I took a rifle class earlier this year with my kids' 4H group. Maybe its time. What kind of gun do you suggest? I've never been much of a hunter, but I would be crushed if those coons killed my chickens!

Leg hold traps set around coop at night, make sure to spring them when u let the girls out tho. Have 20 gauge ready in the morining, a can of sardines is hevain to coons.

Leg hold traps set around coop at night, make sure to spring them when u let the girls out tho. Have 20 gauge ready in the morining, a can of sardines is hevain to coons.

Raccoons are very strong and pretty darn smart. They can bent metal, dig holes, open latches, just about anything a person can do with his/her hands a raccoon can do you just need to get a full-proof trap that they are FORCED to get caught in. It's usually best to find a homemade trap if you have money, instructions to make it, and time to make one. If there is more than 1, the other will help the other one out of the trap if possible. In another words, they are very trap savvy.

Back
Top Bottom