Raccoon in the hen house! Wounded hen...HELP!

Quote:
If you've not been bitten or scratched by the suspected animal, there is now need for a doctors care at all. It can not be transmitted by looking at the animal nor can it be transmitted by coming into "casual contact" with the saliva from the bird. The saliva or blood of the infected animal must enter the blood stream via open wound, eye, or mouth.

She's still hanging on - but I have no idea how. She doesn't appear to see the spoon that I offer up to her (with a variety of things on it - applesauce, yogurt, water, wet mash) and when it touches her beak, she will turn away from it (like in a circle). I follow her, keeping the spoon under her beak and she'll move her beak, like she's taking a small sip, but will keep turning away from it.

I actually DO have Rescue Remedy and just gave her some Pedialyte with some Rescue Remedy drops in it. She might have had a teaspoon of liquid. At least that teaspoon (maybe more?) was the Pedialyte. I go and check on her every 15 or 20 mins and will offer the Pedialyte up to her.

She is not sitting down - she's standing. I wonder if she's got internal injuries I can't see? Or if that's just a sign of pain? I have a call in to my vet - not sure he sees chickens, he had them before though. I got the antibiotics from Agway - but it's one tsp per gallon, and not sure, if she's drinking one teaspoon at a time, that it's going to be any use to her right now.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, going out to get a few first aid things and will post some pics when i get a chance. I noticed that you have two pugs? We do too! Just love puggies.
smile.png

Haha yup! I have two pugs who are turning 10 in a week!

Had to share a pic of my puggies with you - I hear you about the health issues. We lost a pug in March - she died suddenly under anesthesia. It was awful. We adopted these two shortly after - they remind me of yours....
22112_p1010403.jpg

What kind of antibiotics did you get? Hopefully the vet will get back to you very soon. There may be antibiotic that you can administer directly and gently with dropper dribbling along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke.
I am eager for her to have pain relief asap. The aspirin water, if she's not bleeding. A vet may prescribe Metacam or other.
Maybe she would respond better to your hand than to a spoon.....
Poor dear - I am really hoping she will improve with time and that her dazed way will subside.
fl.gif

JJ

I actually have Metacam....it was for my pugs.

My vet did call and gave me the name of another vet - a few towns over. I called and left a message, she's in surgery all day.
sad.png

I'm a little nervous about the aspirin as I have no idea if she's bleeding internally or not. And I did try with my hand, she doesn't see it, or respond - just moves her head. She may have had a teaspoon of pedialyte (with more on her front). Very hard to know if she's swallowing it, or if I'm spilling it on her. She turns away from it though. But I keep offering it. At this point, I'm afraid she'll die from dehydration and/or shock. Her injuries might be too serious. The biggest one is just behind her eye on the side of her head. There are puncture wounds on top of her head too. Poor girl. I feel just awful.

I DID get her to take a bit of Rescue Remedy which I give to my dogs. So hopefully that will help. I haven't given her antibiotics as he ones that I got from Agway are meant to be disolved in a gallon of water. If she is drinking *maybe* 1/4 teaspoon at a time - will that really make a difference?

Thank you for your kind words!

The waiting is torture, knowing she's in pain and needs relief. I hope you can find someone to call you soon. I wish I could recall the right Metacam dose. Can your vet possibly go an extra step for you and ask for the other vet to relay to him the Metacam and antibiotic info now - it would only take her 2 seconds to look up from surgery and relay that info....This could provide relief and wouldn't have the bleeding risk that aspirin does when there are internal injuries suspected. She should at least have serious pain relief right away.
JJ

I'm not very experienced but I would consider taking an eye dropper of liquid and being a little more forceful. I read here somewhere that if you pull the chicken's head back by the comb, the beak will open.

Also, an FYI on rabies. Possums can not catch or carry rabies as their body temperature is too high for the rabies to incubate.
I found this fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom