Raccoon or Fox?

Bantam Bodon

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Osceola Mills PA
I recently lost all of my bantam chickens. All of them, and im pretty upset. There is a fox den with foxes in it pretty close to the house but the live traps caught two young raccoons. I want to know what killed them, i understand it could be both but parts of my chickens were found several 100 yards away. I assume the fox would take food back to the den which is in the opposite direction so im pretty confused as to what would have done that. What do you guys think? Have you heard of either of those predetors leaving parts of their prey lying around??

In my experience the fox takes the whole chicken with no trace left behind other than feathers while the raccoon often kills and scatters disemboweled or otherwise mutilated carcasses. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you, and its just upsetting to raise chicks from eggs to over a year old and then have it end like this. As, im sure, most chicken owners know all too well.

Quote:
So sorry you lost your babies, i know it is heart breaking
sad.png

A fox will move from den to den i have 5 dens that i know the fox uses here on our place .

I belive it was a coon, As posted above a fox will carry off the entire bird to a safe place to eat it or feed their kits.

How many birds did you loose? I read about people loosing alot of birds at one time and just can ot figure out why, the wildlife here do
not kill like this.

Well i lost my 5 bantams but none of my dads chickens were killed, he has regular sized ones but they were all in the same flock. For whatever reason they went after my bantys.

Back
Top Bottom