Raccoon or what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mgray, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mgray

mgray Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Alabama
    Last night something got into the chicken yard and killed 4 eight week old Marans. My husband found them scattered around, one was even in the chicken coop. He told me that the little ones chest/crop were eaten. The adult hen was fine. We have everyone locked in the coop tonight. I will probably always lock them inside now. Was this a raccoon? We live in a rural area, and I have seen foxes, among other critters.

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Raccoon is your number one suspect. That's what I would say it was.

3. mgray

mgray Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Alabama
    Is there any way to raccoon proof a chicken yard? We have fencing, with the bottom, we thought, reinforced with more wire to keep a predator from digging under the fence. However, the top is not covered.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Couple of strands of electric fencing is pretty effective for climbers (opossum/coon). If that is not possible then live traps/Duke dog proof traps (foot trap) will reduce the overall frequency of predation.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    If you put a strand near the top that should help. That and making sure they are locked up at night will help.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, I'm afraid it does sounds like a raccoon. Hope you can keep him out. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by