Raccoon problem... HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS HORRIBLE CREATURE.

There is NO WAY to scare it off permenatly. Raccoons are nasty little vermon that are relentless once they discover a food source. They are very clever and can exploit the smallest of access points.

Solutions

1 High velocity lead. Works every time if you can catch them in the act.

2 Live trap followed by high velocity lead. My solution of choice.

3 Live trap folllowed by release. Dangerous to you and giving someone else your problem.

Quote:
I think you could get into a lot of trouble drowning an animal like that. I wouldn't be against it if the animal was near death and in a lot of pain. But a perfectly healthy animal, that is just too cruel. Surely you could find a different way.

They are considered pest animals, destroying a raccoon is just like destroying a mouse or rat.

Quote:
From what I have seen and heard from others most animal services will refer you to FWS, they will tell you it is your problem, don't relocate it as it is against FW regs to relocate pest animals, they suggested to me either shoot or drown it.

I am guessing you are in the US, but if in Canada who knows.

Alright, it hasn't come back for the last two days, but I'm still contemplating getting a live trap, and dwhite, yes I am in the US right now, so from your post I'm guessing I will have to deal with this animal myself
hmm.png
Thanks again! If I manage to get a live trap I'll let everyone know how it goes.

hello, i know what your going throught i just lost my whole flock of show seramas to a darn racoon!! best thing is to make like a rabbit hutch and
lock them up at night. make sure if it has locks there bolted down because a racoon can open locks !! and live trap, if you call fish and game they might give you
some live traps they gave me two of them good luck!!!

Having owned and loved a coatimundi when I lived in Mexico, I will admit to having a bit of a soft spot for the raccoons (same family of animal, very similar in many ways). However, I love my chickens way more!! I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned our #1 controller of all of the mammal pests--an LGD (livestock guardian dog). In our case, it's our Great Pyrenees, Cassie! I got her after our guard llamas showed no protective behaviors at all when a couple of feral dogs got into our pastures with our alpacas and am soooo glad I did!! She immediately understands when I introduce her to a new animal that it "belongs" to her now and is incredibly protective. Totally nocturnal, she sleeps most of the day and patrols the fence line most of the night. When I had to do middle of the night bottle feedings one summer when there was a bear problem in the neighborhood, it was so comforting to have her right there the whole time. As the daughter of a vet with 6 dogs at present, I can honestly say her intelligence is way above and beyond average!

So far, Cassie has dispatched two raccoons and a groundhog this year; we've also had a fox looking over the fence at the chicken coop many times since spring, but I doubt it will dare to come any closer with Cassie here. I was boarding 2 ducks and a goose for a couple of months in the fall, and I set them up with a run area outside the pasture fence but a night cage inside the fence line so they'd be on Cassie's side for protection. (I do still lock up all birds at night). One night Cassie was barking all night like a maniac but I couldn't really see anything wrong from the house and the alpacas weren't acting alarmed. In the morning, however, we discovered a huge raccoon treed right next to the ducks' cage and that thing wouldn't come down till we cut down the branch and chased it off. Under the tree, the ground showed that Cassie had obviously been pacing there a lot!!

Anyway, I know getting a large dog is a very large commitment, but what she returns to us in love and peace of mind is worth every bit of the time and money it costs to have her!!

Beth

Back
Top Bottom