TalullaCat

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
I had some latches on my coop that were not raccoons safe and one got in and grabbed one of my young hens. i changed the latches and thought that my hens were safe even though the raccoons came back several times , despite having some pretty large rocks thrown at it, but just last night the raccoon got another hen while they were out in the yard in broad daylight! (about 7:00 at night when it still very bright outside this time of year). what should i do to prevent the raccoon from returning? i'm not sure that trapping it and killing it would solve the problem since there are certainly more than one in the area. i am also considering electric fencing, but also unsure since i live in a residential neighborhood.

We had the same problem with daytime raccoons. They would even come at noon and wipe out entire pens of birds. We didnt have birds for 2 yrs after that and the raccoon population normalized. Now if we get one we do trap and kill it before they multiply too much. For now though, the only options are quite expensive. Option 1 is poultry netting electrified but it just wasnt something practical for our setup.
We chose to cover the entire run in 1/2 inch hardware cloth but it is a thicker 16 gauge from fencerwire, black coated and looks nice. We learned the hard way, with openings as big as 1 inch square, the raccoons still use teamwork in daytime to chase birds to the edges and grab them through the openings, pulling limbs off birds, etc, so at least the bottom 4 ft should be 1/2 inch mesh. The top needs covered and zip tie every 3 inches along all joining seams or they will squueze through like jello. Apron around outside bottom too.
Another option is livestock guardian dog but that's a lot of work any training too so we haven't gone that route yet.

I had some latches on my coop that were not raccoons safe and one got in and grabbed one of my young hens. i changed the latches and thought that my hens were safe even though the raccoons came back several times , despite having some pretty large rocks thrown at it, but just last night the raccoon got another hen while they were out in the yard in broad daylight! (about 7:00 at night when it still very bright outside this time of year). what should i do to prevent the raccoon from returning? i'm not sure that trapping it and killing it would solve the problem since there are certainly more than one in the area. i am also considering electric fencing, but also unsure since i live in a residential neighborhood.

:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

A dab of electric fence wire, a couple of hands full of fence insulators, a good fence charger, and a Saturday morning spent installing the equipment will produce good results. Once a coon is bitten by the electricity he or she will develop a new respect for your chickens.

Last edited:
A raccoon leg hold trap like this:
and a .22 work wonders on coons. (There are many makers of traps like the one shown on the video. I am not affiliated in any way with the makers of the one in the video. Shown as an example only.)

YES, YES, YES!!! on the electric fence.
I have the coons and the traps and I do not use them (traps). The electric fence takes all the fun out of chasing chickens. No profit in that for the coons at all. All risk and no reward........so they leave em alone.

I hate coons. They are around all times of the day. We also have a huge coon population. FYI their scat will draw more coons as the odor travels a long ways. I'm hoping my coop and run will be safe from them and the fact I've never found traces of them inside my backyard fence as I have 2 dogs. Just building and a newbie. They can also often escape from those live traps, the exterminators had to use kill traps to get rid of the ones who moved into my attic twice.

You are correct, trapping and killing a raccoon won't solve your problem. I trap and kill them myself, I see it as having two benefits. It removes a critter actively hunting your area and, if female, reduces the breeding population. But there are always more. If you trap one you don't even know for sure you got the one that was killing your chickens.

The only effective long-term way is effective barriers. On a smaller scale that may be a covered run. It sounds like that is not what you are looking for. I'd strongly suggest you investigate what the rules about electric fencing and electric netting are in your area. Some places in suburbia they are illegal.

Its like trying to fish bass out of your catfish/bream pond. It just cant be done by fishing them out 1-2 at a time. The pond has to be drained, and restocked.
In this case, you cant get rid of them by trapping a couple at a time. The only way is preventative maintenance. A sturdy pen, with perhaps a fence.

Back
Top Bottom