Raccoon repellent?

jacilee

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Is there anything that will repell raccoons? I have a big one that gets in the coop at night, He ripped though a trap I had set out and now he won't go in any trap I have.

Is there anything that will repell raccoons? I have a big one that gets in the coop at night, He ripped though a trap I had set out and now he won't go in any trap I have.

A .22 would be helpful. Fortifying your coop would be on my list of things to do (if you post photos we can help you with where changes can be made to address this issue), because this is unlikely to be the only predator to come your way and long-term solutions are more efficient than short-term, but in the mean time, removal of this raccoon is going to be key.

I am in the process of re-enforcing coop. We just reran fence and added a more secure gate. So far I haven't lost any birds to raccoons but I know they are smart and will figure out a weak lock. Right not the coon is getting in by way of a tree by the gate, there is no removing this tree unfortunately and the gate must go here as well. I wonder if I put bird spikes or tap nails along the tree if it would keep it out?

I have helped a lot of coons and possums along with my .22 already, this one I actually trapped in a cage and before I could get home and send him away he actually ripped through the cage and escaped, now I can't get him in a trap again.

My coop is safe from most predators (we don't have bears yet!) and your coop needs to be safer. Your run can be less predator proof, as long as everyone is locked in every night, and that you get this raccoon at least. Mary

Back
Top Bottom