Raccoon Worked over hen...

Fergie

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
NW, Washington
My 4 1/2 year old Cuckoo Maran was attacked by a raccoon during the wee hours (first time in 4 1/2 years we forgot to close the chicken coop at night), and lost a bunch of feathers, but doesn't appear to have any open wounds. She however is acting very weak and lethargic. And her comb is starting to tip, which I know isn't a good sign. Any ideas on what I ought to do for her?? I shut her in the hen house by herself in so she could rest today as my top hen looked like she wanted to pick on her. I brought her a treat, and she ate it, so she has an appetite. I might put her in a kennel and put her in my basement so she can rest. I'm worried about internal type injuries, but can't afford or justify the expense of taking her to the vet.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks.

There may very well be a wound somewhere that you can't readily see. Check her over really good, fluff her neck feathers so you can see the skin areas. If you do find a puncture wound of some sort clean it really good and spray with Vetericyn Spray...

I will do that, thanks. I am going to put her in a dog crate in our basement for the time being so our other hens don't pick on her. She'll be a bit warmer, too. She lost quite a few feathers....

Back
Top Bottom