Raccoons are savage

Electric fence!! Why have I never thought of that?! It shall be the first thing on the agenda tomorrow. Thank you!!

Oh, I wasn't going to release the raccoon back into the world. We were using a live trap so my husband could show the same pleasantries that he showed my little chickens, but away from the eyes of the kids.

I want to, but I have only killed spiders and flies, so I don't think I could do it. My husband will do it, but quickly and with a gun. He's probably more pissed than I am, because he had to listen to me sob about it for days. :)

Not sure at all, but they only thing we have seen is a raccoon. There are very few animals bold enough to do create such chaos when it's still light out and with my 2 big dogs in the yard on the other side of the fence. I didn't know anything had that kind of nerve until that day.
Sounds good.

Although paw traps are effective, they are unethical. I'd recommend an electric wire and a few of the cage-looking traps that lock the raccoons inside.
cage traps do not work very well. compared to dog proofs.

i have caught 3 this year in a duke dog proof traps, and not one broken bone or ripped skin. far from unethical,

So sorry for your losses!
Live traps will catch raccoons, although it takes a larger one to get a big raccoon. Duke leg traps work too. Foxes are very difficult to get in a live trap.
Do shoot any that you can trap! A 22g works well; the critter will face you, and can be shot in the head. Fast and humane.
Rework your coop and run! Obviously it wasn't adequate, and needs beefing up ASAP.
Everyone loves chicken, and it's hard.
Mary

Every time I read these posts I don't sleep well for a couple nights because I keep going out and checking the area. Basically I haven't slept since they have been outside. I checked on them at 1030, I will check on them at Midnite and then about 3 am. At 5 it's light, I let them out and start my day...then I come home at lunch and check on them.

In spite of trying to keep them safe, have lost a lot of chickens over the years to a vast array of predators. But never like this and never more than one or two in a week. Until a couple nights ago.
My flock is locked in their house at night, which is attacked to a small run, that also is closed and locked. They spend their days in a large area, where there is patches of tall grass to hide from hawks if necessary. That area is behind a 4ft chain link fence. I honestly thought they would be as close to bulletproof as they could get without being locked up in a cage 24/7. However, Thursday night around 9pm, I went out to lock them in for the evening and right inside the chain link gate is a little body. So sad, but these things happen, especially to the animal at the bottom of the food chain. Then, I saw another. Then, another and another....
I lost 19 out of 20 chickens that night. Only Wowie remains. I didn't know what the predator was until last night when we saw the giant raccoon try to come back over the fence. We set a live trap, but it's not interested.
So my questions are:
1. How can I beef up security in the chicken yard? I can't leave Wowie locked up forever. and
2. Does anyone know how to catch a raccoon? Because I will avenge all the carnage and savagery.
Thanks in advanced,
Nichole

u might go to TSC & buy their largest small animal trap . I would bait it with a hotdog then I would find a spot on his route to your chickens be careful you are dealing with a wild animal,

Back
Top Bottom