Raccoons are savage

This probably sound inhumane, but when you catch it, kill it slowly. There was no reason to kill 19 birds. If it was only one or two and where eaten, I would say kill it quick. I absolutely hate coons.
C'mon... :th
Thinking like this just makes you a sick individual. Don't be a monster.... You hate coons so you torture & kill a coon, for killing something else... then hypothetically I hate you for doing that, and want to torture you for killing a coon that way... Then it's just a bad cycle. Let's be friends! Don't punish an animal for being an animal....:idunno

Last edited:
Although paw traps are effective, they are unethical. I'd recommend an electric wire and a few of the cage-looking traps that lock the raccoons inside.
They are absolutely NOT unethical. They're an almost foolproof design that targets raccoons 90% of the time. The other 10%, it catches opossums and feral cats, other predators which also need to be removed. Dog proof racoon traps don't break bones and they hold the leg in a fashion so the animal can't chew it's leg off. You couldn't ask for a better species specific trap.

v3RRQ0U.jpg

Live Cage traps will work very well if they're disguised properly. Raccoons do not like to step on wire, so dirt or straw must be used to cover trap floor. Bait must be properly secured so raccoons must work to get some bait. It's also a good idea to throw a piece of rug or blanket over the trap to make a sort of tunnel. It further hides the confines of the cage. Disguise a cage trap well enough, and you can catch coons in them, I've done it many times.

V5uGmFp.jpg

Last edited:
I hate, HATE, HATE raccoons, too! I had a literal herd of them come in on us 2 years ago, and it was impossible to be in that many places at once to get them all! There were at least 17 of them, total - we may have lost count at one point, though, I'm not sure... there may have been more. Anyway, with traps and with the .22 we removed them all over 3 days, but had lost one whole coop of beautiful NICE Light Brahmas, and I had my favorite little Frizzled Banty Cochin die in my lap as I was trying to help her - that was the WORST! I went to WAR on those little murderers! I stayed up all night for 2 weeks straight that year, making sure there were NO more of them coming in to kill my birds!

I've had good success with live traps for raccoons and opossums, and the occasional cat. Once a groundhog. Wish I could get more groundhogs!
It's illegal to trap and release raccoons, opossums, and foxes, at least, except in very specific ways. In Michigan, it's either on your own land, or on private land within the same county, with landowner permission. It's best, and recommended, to shoot them if trapped.
It's definitely best to have a safe coop and run!!!
Mary

They are absolutely NOT unethical. They're an almost foolproof design that targets raccoons 90% of the time. The other 10%, it catches opossums and feral cats, other predators which also need to be removed. Dog proof racoon traps don't break bones and they hold the leg in a fashion so the animal can't chew it's leg off. You couldn't ask for a better species specific trap.

v3RRQ0U.jpg

Live Cage traps will work very well if they're disguised properly. Raccoons do not like to step on wire, so dirt or straw must be used to cover trap floor. Bait must be properly secured so raccoons must work to get some bait. It's also a good idea to throw a piece of rug or blanket over the trap to make a sort of tunnel. It further hides the confines of the cage. Disguise a cage trap well enough, and you can catch coons in them, I've done it many times.

V5uGmFp.jpg
I'm curious how the mechanism keeps them from chewing their leg off...? Is it the angle? Or it just comes up too high on the arm?

I'm curious how the mechanism keeps them from chewing their leg off...? Is it the angle? Or it just comes up too high on the arm?
animals don't really chew there legs off on purpose, (its just a lie anti-trapping groups like to spread) the reason animals used to chew there legs off was due to the old traps (with the teeth and full metal jaws) would cut the blood off therefore cutting off the feeling and when the animal chews the trap they would chew there leg not noticing due to loss of feeling.

this is what i have been told and read from different sources. :)

I've had good success with live traps for raccoons and opossums, and the occasional cat. Once a groundhog. Wish I could get more groundhogs!
It's illegal to trap and release raccoons, opossums, and foxes, at least, except in very specific ways. In Michigan, it's either on your own land, or on private land within the same county, with landowner permission. It's best, and recommended, to shoot them if trapped.
It's definitely best to have a safe coop and run!!!
Mary
I agree that since some places do not let you release without certain precautions, rules and regulations, etc... that it is a troublesome solution. But I myself, do not kill anything regardless. I don't like punishing animals for being animals. And I don't feel it solves anything, as other predators will come.
But that's just me. I feel the best way to combat them is to live with them the best we can, by not encouraging, (left out food, attractants, etc.) and having an iron-clad coop and run.... Because once you get rid of one predator, there's always another... so always be prepared.

I'm happy to live and let live too, but not always. Sometimes the right thing to do involves that 22g.
My coop and run are now very safe, except that the old concrete floor is no longer secured from mice, and last year a couple of rats. It was poison, or having dead chickens, and more mice than birds!
Sick foxes, opossums, or raccoons are a menace and need to be eliminated ASAP also.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom