Raccoons

It took me like 5 shots with a 22 to kill a raccoon, 6 if you count the time I shot him and he ran away.

Hey, dead is dead. I've killed them with .22s to 7.62x39mm or .410 to 12 ga. . If it gets it done, it gets it done!
wink.png

I have tried to removed coons from traps,but only the wee little ones I had luck with.Teens and up attack. Not risking a bite.

Quote:
I use a 22 short for dispatch of animals (including coons) in the live trap. It only takes one shot. Was the raccoon that took 5 shots to kill wearing armor or were you just blasting away in its direction? I use a single shot bolt action.

36435_trapwise.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
RN bullets work fairly well in most calibers I have used a number of calibers to do the deed being cheap like I am I tend to use .22 shorts / CB caps

Yes, I have a 22, however, there seemed to be a reasonable chance that he might move and not receive a quick, humane kill. I may not like raccoons, but I don't want to cause needless suffering. MiF

Quote:
I'd think that a 44 could pass through the raccoon, hit a bar of the cage, and rip the bar damaging the cage. If a 22 is shot into the head or back of the neck at such close range, it should kill instantly. Also, wouldn't there be more cleanup (blood, splatter) with a larger caliber?

First shot was when he was out, the shot was front to back below left arm, he made some noise then ran off, then several days later got him in the trap, you could see the blood on his fur, 4 shots to the body as he was twisting around, finally got a shot to the base of the head, that did him in.

Back
Top Bottom