Racing Pigeon Pair - reproducing question

People have used round rocks painted white. If your craftstore doesn't have fake eggs , you can get some clay and make your own.

Go to Foyspigeonsupplies.com. They have fake eggs at a very conservative price. Since pigeon egg shells are so fragile, I don't think blown out eggs will work.

I was wondering that. Thanks for the tip on the website!
Right now my girl pigeon does not seem all that enamored with the boy pigeon. He is sleeping in the nest box, and she is in the roost area most of the time. Maybe they just need to get to know eachother. He's a bit young still, too.

Quote:
Oh my gosh! That is just the cutest thing
love.gif
How long before you have to take the chicks away from them Becky?

I stick them in the brooder as soon as I find them, which is usually after they're dried out and poofy. The pigeons don't mind really. The important thing is that they got their resting period while the egg was incubated.

You don't necessarily need fertile chicken eggs either. Just eggs :p If all else fails, that is still an option. But of course with fake eggs, you can reuse them and not take away from breakfast :p

Other than pigeon supply places, I'm not sure. I put standard sized eggs under mine. That's why I have so many big sex-link looking things running around
lol.png
They pay no attention to the size difference.

26024_1395093960490_1326437118_31092824_4452829_n.jpg

26024_1395094000491_1326437118_31092825_3448614_n.jpg

I'm curious, do pigeons make good surrogates for other poultry or you just used this one to hatch the egg? Would be hard for the pigeon to feed the baby chicken, quail, etc or the chick would ditch the parent? Just got myself 2 breeding pairs of racers but saw this and thought it may be nice to have the pigeon naturally hatch some of my quails to encourage that natural instinct back into the birds.

My opinion is they would work as incubators only. One would then have to transfer the hatched birds into a brooder cage. The only type of bird they could foster would be another pigeon or dove is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom