Racoon ESCAPED my trap overnight?

The ABSOLUTE best trap for coon is a #1 double long spring foothold trap. They hold well, and if used correctly, cause no damage to the animal.

That being said, I use the same trap you do in areas where domestic animals are a problem. They do require some work at times on the trigger. I have never had one escape from a trap though. Are you sure someone didn't let the animal out? I have had that problem before.

Lee

Last edited:
I had a raccoon escape from a coyote-sized trap, but I knew the door was too-flexible. It's on my "to re-engineer" list, along with a couple of dead lawnmowers and anything else DH has broken recently.....
Anyways, I don't think they can get out of my raccoon-sized traps, they have much sturdier doors. I haven't seen him back (on the game cam). I'm running a leg trap now, so unwelcome critters beware!

Quote:
most just get their long pointy snout started under the bottom of the door and just "bull" their way out the small ones are pretty easy to keep caged I have caught fairly large coon <15-20 pounds in cages but every now and then they just leave normally after this happens I change the style of trap I am using I either use a foothold or a coni when using conis I recess it in a box

I am also trying to catch a raccoon I believe that is what killed my duck and is stealing the eggs. Will it chicken accidentally get in the havahart Trap and will it hurt it?

Quote:

A 35 POUND COON WILL LEAVE AND NOT TRY REAL HARD
smile.png

Coons can get upwards to 65 pounds so you can see that they are not light weight chicken predators. Get a Dog Proof Coon trap. Baited with doughnuts, marshmallows, or honey buns a DP trap will never or almost never catch anything but a coon, especially when baited as suggested above.

I am also trying to catch a raccoon I believe that is what killed my duck and is stealing the eggs. Will it chicken accidentally get in the havahart Trap and will it hurt it?

If a chicken gets into a so called "Have-a-Heart trap and there is hot direct Sunlight on the trap that can kill a chicken quicker than a coon can. Get a couple of the Dog Proof Coon traps and your coon problems are over. But there are always the people who love animals and believe that the feeling is mutual. It is not. If you suspect that someone in you neighborhood is feeding a colony of coons, as they say on the street, drop a Dime on them. That means call the authorities from a public phone and turn them in.

The big raccoon in the bunch here s astronomically huge. My neighbor sees it stand on its hind legs to look around and it's up to his thigh. I saw it in the tree and I couldn't believe how big it was. I'm going to say about 40-45 pounds. No one in the area even has a trap big enough for this one. I also believe it's the mom to the several that hang in the trees bickering at each other. All this about 20-25 ft from the coop. Very unsettling.

The green advanteks from TSC are worthless junk. So are the supposed coyote traps they sell. It's a good thing that only one in a million sickly coyote pups would ever go into one because they aren't even sturdy enough to hold a raccoon. Save your money and buy a real trap or hire someone that has a complete arsenal of proper tools to take care of your wildlife problems.

Last night, just caught the momma of the 3 babies , I caught last week, a #4 steel trap...they work every time and don't have to bait, just set around outside of pen. I don't have to worry about neighbors dogs getting in them, so makes it easier than trying to live trap.

Back
Top Bottom