Raggedy Ann. What can I do to help her?

ekemily

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Fairhope, AL
I have six chickens on this area of the farm that were my first chickens. They are a little over 3 years old. They have free range over several acres. One of them, my Ameraucana is not looking so hot. At first, I thought she was just molting. She has looked like this for a long time now. The other chickens are not pecking on her. It looks like her feathers have lost their barbs. She's really soft and fluffy. I'm putting in a pic of my other Ameraucana and then a black sex link. Their feathers are fine. If it is mites, wouldn't my other hens have it too? What can I do for her? Thanks
50621_img_0916.jpg

50621_img_0911.jpg

50621_img_0920.jpg

50621_img_0919.jpg

Do you have a rooster? I would guess that to me this looks like the work of an aggressive rooster. A couple of my girls look even worse and that is what causing their problem....

I agree. My (now deceased) very rough rooster did the same thing to his 'favorite' hens, pulled their neck feathers out, and left them bare-backed with all his 'activity'. Now that he's gone, their feathers are starting to grow back, and the new feathers have that soft fluffy appearance until they are all filled in. If this isn't it (if, for instance, you don't have a rooster) it could be that she has been "slow moulting" and is starting to regrow feathers - not sure what else it would be. You're right that any external parasites would be affecting the entire flock.

Last edited:
I don't have a rooster in the area they are located. I have one 17 week old rooster that is confined in a run. I don't know what her problem is. I got all of these chicks together. They were raised together for 2 years without problems, and now this is happening. I have never seen the other hens single her out, or peck her while eating, or just hanging out or whatever.

I have had some chickens that for some reason attracted mites WAAAAAY more than the others. Don't know if it was blood type, feather density, personal grooming frequency, or ??? So it is possible for one chicken to look bad from mites while its coopmates don't.
Don't know if this is Ann's problem, though. The areas where she is losing feathers are not ones I have seen bare from mite problems.
Might she have some kind of allergy, do you think?
Or did she used to be in with a rooster? I had a hen that looked bad for months after rough breeding. She was a Frizzle Silkie Polish Cochin cross, though, so that did contribute to feather frailty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom