Lila123

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2023
Pancake my little mallard drake was bullying one of my geese relentlessly and I’ve followed this people on this site advice and separated them.
So far, success. Also it turns out part of the problem was that they both feel they own me and so I now don’t pet them in each others view.

But now a New Problem!
Pancake is afraid of the 2 runner hens I put him with. Maybe he doesn’t know what they are. And they posture threateningly around him. They are definitely girls, aged 1 and 3 years old each, and no curly tail feathers.
How do I get the girls to accept him? Will that just happen naturally as we head into spring and his hormones go mental?

Photo below of ladies the night I brought them home. They are cleaner now.

Attachments

• IMG_3639.jpeg
    IMG_3639.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 28
Pancake my little mallard drake was bullying one of my geese relentlessly and I’ve followed this people on this site advice and separated them.
So far, success. Also it turns out part of the problem was that they both feel they own me and so I now don’t pet them in each others view.

But now a New Problem!
Pancake is afraid of the 2 runner hens I put him with. Maybe he doesn’t know what they are. And they posture threateningly around him. They are definitely girls, aged 1 and 3 years old each, and no curly tail feathers.
How do I get the girls to accept him? Will that just happen naturally as we head into spring and his hormones go mental?

Photo below of ladies the night I brought them home. They are cleaner now.
He somehow flew over the fence (with clipped wings) so he’s inside right now and trying to attack my poor 50kg dog 🤦‍♀️ Wtf is wrong with ducks.

Drakes have absolutely no sense when those hormones start raging. All we can do is try and keep them safe from themselves and the other animals we have. Maybe you didn't clip enough of the flight feathers? just do one wing it will keep him off balance.

Drakes have absolutely no sense when those hormones start raging. All we can do is try and keep them safe from themselves and the other animals we have. Maybe you didn't clip enough of the flight feathers? just do one wing it will keep him off balance.
Yes they are both clipped further now and I’ve raised the fence height. He’s lucky my dog is so kind.

I agree my dog grabbed hold of my gander once and thank goodness she didn’t bite down but it sure scared me. He had popped her on the butt one too many times. We got that worked out and the dog and gander respected each others space after.

Back
Top Bottom