Rainbow Lizards?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 21, 2011.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I was looking a pics of lizards and one showed up and it was a RAINBOW lizard!
    Where can I get them at?! Or are they wilds and can't be caught?!
    Does anyone own them?!?!

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Have you seen "Spiderman Lizards?" Also a very cool creature. Lizards like that are not my favorite to own. They aren't as handleable as the onese I have and are kind of skittish - although they are pretty to look at! I have about 15 Crested Geckos at the moment! You should check them out online. They come in a variety of colors/patterns, don't require heat and don't need to eat insects to be healthy.

Do you currently keep any reptiles?

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    "Rainbow Lizard" is a common name term applied to several species, so I'm not sure which one you mean. [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you referring to Cnemidophorus lemniscatus? If so you would need to either buy online,purchase from a breeder, or reptile store. Their not native to the US but their is a population in Florida.

http://www.rainforest-pets.com/rainbow-lizards.htm

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:This is true about florida! About 1 out of 4 pet stores you walk into here will have that lizard. I always thought they were cool looking but not a pet for me.

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:What other species can you think of that are called "Rainbow Lizard" other than the Cnemidophorus lemniscatus? There's the Agama agama, which is often called The Rainbow Agama..... but I'm curious to know if you can think of others. Mabuya quinquetaeniata? Tracheloptychus petersi?

I think the Cnemidophorus lemniscatus is the most commonly found "Rainbow Lizard" in the common pet trade - aside from specialty shows that the general public doesn't visit as often....

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    The OP did not specify if they were looking at lizards commonly in the pet trade, or if they were refering to a regional name. Some of the lizards more commonly refered to as 'Rainbow Lizards" include:
    - Agama agama
    - Cnemidophorus lemniscatus
    - Ameiva undulata
    - Platysaurus broadleyi [​IMG]
    - Tracheloptychus petersi
    - Cnemidophorus deppei
    - And then there are probably others I am unaware of

Hence asking for specification from the OP. Ie. Linking to the photo they are speaking of.

8. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Augrabies Flat Lizard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by