Raise chicks on grass?

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
I’ve only raised baby chicks once in my garage which I got from a hatchery. It’s two years later and one of our beloved hens has died so I decided to get some hatching eggs online. They have been in the incubator for almost three days and I have a broody Black Australorp who is desperate to raise babies for the second year in a row.

Since my coop is too small for my existing flock and a broody mama with chicks, I moved her into a chicken tractor with a covered tote with an opening as a nesting box. She’s currently sitting on golf balls. The floor of the tractor is grass.

My question is if I slip some of the eggs in my broody hen’s nest tonight and she takes them, is it ok to raise the chicks from day 1 on grass out in the open? I’m afraid they’ll chill or who knows what? I’ve positioned the tractor next to the run so all my hens can see each other and my flock can see the babies. I hope she raises all the chicks instead of me having to keep them in the garage for several weeks.

Attachments

• 50209E72-584A-42C5-9C30-E85080844304.jpeg
    50209E72-584A-42C5-9C30-E85080844304.jpeg
    937.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 6B41DE9F-F93B-47F9-B470-5B8EDF0E8570.jpeg
    6B41DE9F-F93B-47F9-B470-5B8EDF0E8570.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 24
My chicken hatched her eggs in grass- full free range in the city. My dad brought her to me with her 9 chicks. I had them fenced in but she preferred to be out free and nests in a corner of our yard where the grass and weeds are overgrown. The chicks and momma are doing well. My dad says that in his yard where he got this one from there are 3 more mommas. Chicks older then mine and they are all doing well. They like his yard for some reason.

Attachments

• 16255B7B-50A0-4038-98F6-B4A3C3F33209.jpeg
    16255B7B-50A0-4038-98F6-B4A3C3F33209.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 17
Beautiful momma and chicks.😊 Well, you learn a lot in a few days! My chicks hatched 3-4 days ago and she took them out on grass on day 2, and only because I opened the dog crate to let them out. My only prior experience was raising chicks in a brooder and conventional advice seems to be to wait to let them outside. But I guess raising them with their momma is a different situation.

Beautiful momma and chicks.😊 Well, you learn a lot in a few days! My chicks hatched 3-4 days ago and she took them out on grass on day 2, and only because I opened the dog crate to let them out. My only prior experience was raising chicks in a brooder and conventional advice seems to be to wait to let them outside. But I guess raising them with their momma is a different situation.
I’m new to all this and have definitely learned a lot in the week that I’ve had them. Momma takes good care of her babies. And the momma communicates with them. It’s not just follow what she does. She speaks to them. She makes specific sounds to guide them. I’ve noticed she tells them when it’s ok to peck from my hand, when to stay away and I’ve even seen her instruct them to take cover. I love watching them 😅

I’m new to all this and have definitely learned a lot in the week that I’ve had them. Momma takes good care of her babies. And the momma communicates with them. It’s not just follow what she does. She speaks to them. She makes specific sounds to guide them. I’ve noticed she tells them when it’s ok to peck from my hand, when to stay away and I’ve even seen her instruct them to take cover. I love watching them 😅
I know. It’s my first time raising with a broody mama. I call it chickavision because I could watch all day. So much more interesting than watching them in a brooder. I love how she shows them something and they’re instantly mimicking her. I wish my kids were like that, lol. My only complaint is I can’t handle them because they’re scared of me and she’s always ushering them away.

I know. It’s my first time raising with a broody mama. I call it chickavision because I could watch all day. So much more interesting than watching them in a brooder. I love how she shows them something and they’re instantly mimicking her. I wish my kids were like that, lol. My only complaint is I can’t handle them because they’re scared of me and she’s always ushering them away.
That’s my complaint as well. She literally picks the food from my hand and drops it on the floor for them. She won’t let them get close to me. 😞 I kinda want to split them up so I can show them I’m not a threat but don’t know how that will go.

Back
Top Bottom